PDA

View Full Version : Parade - Ubuntu is everywhere!

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
So I don't know if anybody else saw it, but Ubuntu was advertised (by Dell) in PARADE Magazine. This is a very large weekly magazine that comes with my newspaper (and very many across the country) and I was just browsing through it when I saw Ubuntu 8.10 jump out at me. The advertisment was for the Dell Mini 9. No Windows XP, Ubuntu! With that and Ubuntu now in Best Buy, I am starting to see ubuntu everywhere. I just thought I would let everyone know....

Kory
Edit:
Pic here albeit very bad :)
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=85372&d=1221528843

billgoldberg
September 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I haven't seen Ubuntu mentioned anywhere in these parts of the world.

So it isn't everywhere.

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Great, In fact the most difficult part for a new linux user is how the file system work. If ubuntu can make his nautilus to work like explorer many people will not be afraid anymore. A brandnew gnome isn't beautiful enough in my opinion since people doesn't want to modify it like most of us do.

But still, that's very great. Ubuntu should stop being 'lightweigh' and let distributions like Arch for the more advanced users to choose if the want it light or not.

chris4585
September 16th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Great, In fact the most difficult part for a new linux user is how the file system work. If ubuntu can make his nautilus to work like explorer many people will not be afraid anymore. A brandnew gnome isn't beautiful enough in my opinion since people doesn't want to modify it like most of us do.

But still, that's very great. Ubuntu should stop being 'lightweigh' and let distributions like Arch for the more advanced users to choose if the want it light or not.

Umm.. Ubuntu isn't lightweight, matter of fact its pretty heavy

just saying

LaRoza
September 16th, 2008, 01:02 AM

So it isn't everywhere.

And there isn't a parade. I think you are taking this a mite more seriously than it is meant ;)

Umm.. Ubuntu isn't lightweight, matter of fact its pretty heavy

just saying

Compare it to Vista.

uberdonkey5
September 16th, 2008, 01:08 AM

So it isn't everywhere.

yes, definitely no posters or magazines on ubuntu in my bedroom, so it isn't everywhere.

Many people choose ubuntu for speed and practicality, not fancy graphics. One thing that put me off windows is the constant attempts to make it prettier. Computers should get the job done as easily and as quickly as possible. The rest is just playing.

Well glad, there is some publicity. We should maybe support those who support us. I bought a dell (though the version I wanted couldn't come preinstalled with ubuntu for some reason!)

niccholaspage
September 16th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Compare it to Vista
You mean the operating system that needs 20 GB of hard disk space to be installed? (This is true. Vista really stinks.)

Dr Small
September 16th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Compare it to Vista.

Compare it to ArchLinux :)

phrostbyte
September 16th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Compare it to ArchLinux :)

Compare ArchLinux to Damn Small Linux.

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 01:44 AM
My Parade didn't mention Ubuntu...

(No, I don't actually read it. I pulled it out after seeing this thread.)

EDIT: Can you post a pic?

chris4585
September 16th, 2008, 02:09 AM
And there isn't a parade. I think you are taking this a mite more seriously than it is meant ;)

Compare it to Vista.

you have a good point, but in the linux world ubuntu is quite medium, but its definitely not light

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 02:15 AM
you have a good point, but in the linux world ubuntu is quite medium, but its definitely not light

For the average user the biggest linux distribuction is incredibly lightweight.

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:17 AM
For the average user the biggest linux distribuction is incredibly lightweigh.
What? I hate to break it to you, but a full (read: everything) DVD installation of a distro such as openSUSE has far more bloat than Windows XP (the most-used OS).

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 02:21 AM
What? I hate to break it to you, but a full (read: everything) DVD installation of a distro such as openSUSE has far more bloat than Windows XP (the most-used OS).

Since when Windows XP is a modern OS. Windows XP is past.

Everyone has at least 2gig of ram. Many have 4gig. A decent laptop with XP doesn't exist.

The most used OS, well ... still past. Give XP 3 months and its more heavy than vista.

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 02:34 AM

Everyone has at least 2gig of ram. Many have 4gig. A decent laptop with XP doesn't exist.

The most used OS, well ... still past. Give XP 3 months and its more heavy than vista.

Well I have only 1 gig :)

It is on page 13 of issue Sunday September 14, 2008

This is taken with my webcam :) so that explains that....
Kory

kevdog
September 16th, 2008, 02:34 AM
What's considered a "heavy linux" distro? I'm no expert on the matter, however I'm sure Ubuntu is near the top (not the top). Not that I think this is a bad thing, but just wanted to clarify this point since it was brought up earlier in the discussion. I'm not interested in how it compares to windows -- everyone knows that OS (which is a good one) is bloatware. Is ubuntu lighter than Mac OS X?

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:41 AM

I guess us 1-gig-of-RAM users don't count then ;)

Seriously, more memory usage is only good when it achieves a useful goal. I may not like Compiz, but most people do, so it is worth the tradeoff. That's why Ubuntu includes it by default. However, bloat for the sake of bloat is never good, regardless of how much RAM you have.

Alien.col
September 16th, 2008, 02:44 AM
When compared to vista ubuntu is lightweight

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 02:46 AM
gali98 : A 350$ laptop ... we need linux to be on real machines. Not only for that kind of toys only because this is the only OS capable to be running well on that thing.

Like the eeepc. I hate how linux is being the lightweight OS for the crappy computers.

Ubuntu could be usefull to make a distribution capable to bring some attention to linux. Making a distribution optimized for more than a 10 years old computer.

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:51 AM
gali98 : A 350$ laptop ... we need linux to be on real machines. Not only for that kind of toys only because this is the only OS capable to be running well on that thing.

Like the eeepc. I hate how linux is being the lightweight OS for the crappy computers.

Ubuntu could be usefull to make a distribution capable to bring some attention to linux. Making a distribution optimized for more than a 10 years old computer.
What useful features would you add that aren't lightweight?

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I guess us 1-gig-of-RAM users don't count then ;)

Seriously, more memory usage is only good when it achieves a useful goal. I may not like Compiz, but most people do, so it is worth the tradeoff. That's why Ubuntu includes it by default. However, bloat for the sake of bloat is never good, regardless of how much RAM you have.

People buy computers for Microsoft Office, games ... and emails. People want their computer to have many useless things and they doesn't need it to be optimized to their hardware.

It has to be big for the everybody usage.

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:54 AM
It has to be big for the everybody usage.
Why? How is a regular Ubuntu install too small? What is it lacking?

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 02:54 AM
For travelers and people who need a small machine to check their email, and work on small projects, this machine is perfect. Not everyone needs or even wants a powerhouse.
Some people delibratly pay thousands (fujitsu comes to mind) to buy a small laptop with specs smaller than this. At work we have a 4.something inch screen tablet that cost untold amounts of money.
"real machines" come in all shapes, sizes, os's, and price ranges.

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Some people delibratly pay thousands (fujitsu comes to mind) to buy a small laptop with specs smaller than this.
My dad just bought a really nice little Fujitsu tablet. I'm counting the days until the included 2 gigs of RAM become obsolete and I can inherit it :)

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 02:57 AM
What useful features would you add that aren't lightweight?

I mean you have to heavily modify your gnome to have a good looking desktop ... and people want a beautiful and full of features desktop. 'not talking about the ubuntu gnome but the original one but ... still ...'

As an Arch user I love the fact that I build want I want for the hardware I have and choose the desktop manager and windows manager I want. But only the more advanced user will like it that way.

I have a Nvidia 8800GTS since a year and its running at 5% of its capacity because its designed to be running for the old computer.

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I mean you have to heavily modify your gnome to have a good looking desktop ... and people want a beautiful and full of features desktop. 'not talking about the ubuntu gnome but the original one but ... still ...'

...and you define beautiful how? People all like different things.

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Why? How is a regular Ubuntu install too small? What is it lacking?

Look at vista, people like it. Linux is light ... when something is going wrong, you're fixing it. In windows ... the OS is starting some procedures trying to figure it out. Everything is automated, this is what linux is lacking.

Still ... in my case I like the way it is, but it is not for everyone.

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 03:03 AM

Exactly. I love default ubuntu Hardy with NO Compiz. I know a guy who beautiful is windows 2000 bare look. Some people drool at a busybox terminal.

I do agree with you in loving that you can choose WM and Desktop Manager and all that though...
Kory

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Look at vista, people like it. Linux is light ... when something is going wrong, you're fixing it. In windows ... the OS is starting some procedures trying to figure it out. Everything is automated, this is what linux is lacking.

Still ... in my case I like the way it is, but it is not for everyone.
Have you tried Mandriva? EVERYTHING is automated. I dislike it for that reason, but some might enjoy that.

By the way, what "procedures trying to figure it out" are you referring to?

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:05 AM

Gnome is plain ... empty. I personaly like a simple openbox clean and beautifull 'very design'. Look at the windows vista interface, compiz as many nice features but the GTk2.0 looks empty.

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 03:06 AM
In windows ... the OS is starting some procedures trying to figure it out. Everything is automated, this is what linux is lacking.

Well there could be serious debate there, but you do have a point. However, I don't think I have near as many errors on Ubuntu as Vista. And Vista "correcting" it usually doesn't work, or it sends off some error report to microsoft that you never see the effect of.

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Exactly. I love default ubuntu Hardy with NO Compiz. I know a guy who beautiful is windows 2000 bare look. Some people drool at a busybox terminal.

I do agree with you in loving that you can choose WM and Desktop Manager and all that though...
Kory

Some people, most people dont =)

Dr Small
September 16th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Gnome is plain ... empty. I personaly like a simple openbox clean and beautifull 'very design'. Look at the windows vista interface, compiz as many nice features but the GTk2.0 looks empty.
I would consider it the other way around. Gnome is bloated, and Openbox is empty. But I love Openbox for that reason, and fill it with what I want :)

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 03:09 AM
That is what linux is all about: making it what you want,
A webserver
a media machine
a gaming box
a pretty cube desktop...

wow... has this post gotten off topic or what?
I guess I love arguing :)

Kory

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I like empty :)

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I like whatever I need. However I don't mind Ubuntu coming with extra apps. I even learned to use them like a red headed step child.
I use evolution every day even though I promised my self I would never use an email client. I've even used calculator *gasp*
Kory

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Have you tried Mandriva? EVERYTHING is automated. I dislike it for that reason, but some might enjoy that.

By the way, what "procedures trying to figure it out" are you referring to?

Forgive the fact that I am limited in English, but I can say this this way.

Linux is still very different from windows and people 'speak' windows. As long linux is the OS for the limited 'as slow' computers ... I think the people with recent hardware will seek more. They should stop developing light desktop manager and make one for the up-to-date computers. Compiz is cool for the effects ... but GTK2.0 is still nothing special.

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
I would consider it the other way around. Gnome is bloated, and Openbox is empty. But I love Openbox for that reason, and fill it with what I want :)

Openbox is elegant. GTK2.0 is empty, as no effects. I use gnome with openbox sometimes because I really like it, but no compiz with it hehe.

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I like empty :)

Me too, but most people dont =) I'm not speaking about us linux users ... but about the average user.

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Forgive the fact that I am limited in English, but I can say this this way.

Linux is still very different from windows and people 'speak' windows. As long linux is the OS for the limited 'as slow' computers ... I think the people with recent hardware will seek more. They should stop developing light desktop manager and make one for the up-to-date computers. Compiz is cool for the effects ... but GTK2.0 is still nothing special.

Woah! Here is your problem: You think that everybody wants cool effects, and clear windows... they don't. I'm not just talking about computer people either. In the business world, they don't care about fuzzy feeling computers, they care about getting it done. Plus you have to realize that "they" aren't going to develop what everybody wants all the time. Just look at the KDE thing. They usually develop for themselves, and just happen to give it to other people. People will come to ubuntu(or linux) because it works. They are tired of vista and its junk. Just because a computer has power doesn't mean it should sit idle using half it's processing power and ram. Some people need the power for the applications they use, and not for their pretty desktops....
Kory

ODF
September 16th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Woah! Here is your problem: You think that everybody wants cool effects, and clear windows... they don't. I'm not just talking about computer people either. In the business world, they don't care about fuzzy feeling computers, they care about getting it done. Plus you have to realize that "they" aren't going to develop what everybody wants all the time. Just look at the KDE thing. They usually develop for themselves, and just happen to give it to other people. People will come to ubuntu(or linux) because it works. They are tired of vista and its junk. Just because a computer has power doesn't mean it should sit idle using half it's processing power and ram. Some people need the power for the applications they use, and not for their pretty desktops....
Kory

Talking about the home desktop here. In that range people want cool effets. =)

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Whatever dawg... I'm too tired to argue. I have to do homework.
We will leave it at that we will agree to disagree.
The best to your pretty desktop :)
Kory

cardinals_fan
September 16th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Talking about the home desktop here. In that range people want cool effets. =)
My Mom is about the least technical computer user imaginable. She uses the computer to order stuff online and write the occasional document. When she looks at the back button in her browser, she doesn't care if the button is shiny and fancy-looking. She doesn't care if the background behind the button is translucent. She doesn't care if there's a snazzy hover effect when she moves her cursor over the button. She just wants a button that is clear and easy to identify.

By the way, don't apologize for your English. It's much better than my feeble French :)

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 03:55 AM
That pretty much sums it up for me cardinal. And ditto on the English. You should see my spanish....
¡Me gusta linux!
lol
Kory

TBOL3
September 16th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Gak, this thread has been killed. The first post was really fun, to see ubuntu in a new place. But now it's mutated into an arguement of what the DE should be. I propose we go back to the less heated topic of ubuntu in popular coltier, sort of.

I was surprised to see one of my neighbors running linux. But he bought a computer with 6.10, and is convinced that it's the newest version. It doesn't work for him all that well, and he keeps saying that linux won't go anywhere for a few years. I tell him to jump a few years into the fueture (now), but oh well. Ubuntu will take over the world :) .

gali98
September 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I guess that is what you get when a bunch of linux geeks start arguing :)
Thanks for putting us back on topic though.....
Kory

Casper Hansen
September 16th, 2008, 01:34 PM
In Denmark there's a news site where they've talked about the release of Hardy and Ubuntu in general.