PDA

View Full Version : Chrome + Wine release sort of

eragon100
September 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Not by google, but codeweavers has made a port of the entire browser, available as a free download from www.codeweavers.com:

exact link: http://www.codeweavers.com/services/ports/chromium/

Have fun!

Dr Small
September 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I thought Google was supposed to release it?

zmjjmz
September 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
**** year

boobuntu
September 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check this out.

howefield
September 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
This sounds a bit misleading to call it Google chrome for linux. It isn't Googles chrome, it is Crossover Chromium

zmjjmz
September 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Eh, I have it running now.
It takes up too much vertical screen space, and it's ugly. But it works fine.

mrgnash
September 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
It's not ugly. But it doesn't work 100% either.

vishzilla
September 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM
What? Its just Chromium+Wine. I already have it on my system. Not worth!

Antman
September 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web. The Chromium codebase is the basis for Google’s Chrome browser.

Until Google makes a native client for Linux and Mac, Codeweavers has created a port. Enjoy

http://www.codeweavers.com/services/ports/chromium/

Bölvağur
September 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM
omg when I try open webpages the xserver crashes, pitch black screen.. hurrey.

On other news, dpkg -r chrominium doesnt work to uninstall it, apparantly it isnt listed, can anyone give me a hand? Think it is an easy fix that everyone than me would realize

handy
September 16th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Chromium is an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all Internet users to experience the web. The Chromium codebase is the basis for Google’s Chrome browser.

Until Google makes a native client for Windows and Mac, Codeweavers has created a port. Enjoy

http://www.codeweavers.com/services/ports/chromium/

Typo' there.

Thanks for the heads up on Chromium.

simtaalo
September 16th, 2008, 02:09 PM
misleading thread title, the same link has been posted in at least 2 other threads i know of.

this is not the linux release, its just a portover of a beta windows release.

geoken
September 16th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Eh, I have it running now.
It takes up too much vertical screen space, and it's ugly. But it works fine.

How does it take up more vertical space than any other browser?

Canis familiaris
September 16th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The fonts look terrible...

And it does not maximize...

Good Attempt though...

ELD
September 16th, 2008, 02:26 PM
It is not a port of any beta release of chrome this thread is completely misleading.

The website speaks for itself
"Google Chrome is built with open source code from Chromium. "

It is NOT google chrome or anything close to it, just something google chrome was built using.

howefield
September 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
It is not a port of any beta release of chrome this thread is completely misleading.....

Very true, but a great marketing ploy for Crossover. :lolflag:

ronnielsen1
September 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Buggy and slooooowwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

ELD
September 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Very true, but a great marketing ploy for Crossover. :lolflag:

It's a great idea and if you read their website they explain it is really just showing off WINE's power.

clanky
September 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Think I will wait until Google release their Linux version.

Wish they would hurry up though!

SomeGuyDude
September 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM
It is not a port of any beta release of chrome this thread is completely misleading.

It is NOT google chrome or anything close to it, just something google chrome was built using.

Not only that, but:

Should I run CrossOver Chromium as my main browser?
A. Absolutely not! This is just a proof of concept, for fun, and to showcase what Wine can do.

So anyone either complaining that it doesn't work well, or pumping it as "Chrome for Linux", doesn't quite understand what's happening.

KIAaze
September 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Buggy and slooooowwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

if you read their website they explain it is really just showing off WINE's power.

Ah ok, so that's why...:lolflag:

When I maximize it, the title bar almost disappears underneath the Gnome panel!
And when I want to save a web page, it offers to save it on my windows partition by default. ( crossover policy? :confused:)
When I move tabs around, I get black windows.

Copy/pasting was also a bit strange, since it tended to paste copied URLs twice into the bar. :confused:

But it was still nice to be able to test it under Ubuntu until a real port comes out. :)
Especially since it's impossible to download the "real version" unless you use XP or Vista (or a fake user agent).:mad:

LaRoza
September 16th, 2008, 07:39 PM
misleading thread title, the same link has been posted in at least 2 other threads i know of.

this is not the linux release, its just a portover of a beta windows release.

Yes, it is very misleading. I see no beans...

I will change the title...

simtaalo
September 16th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I see no beans...

nope i cant see any magic beans either :)

handy
September 17th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I wonder what business advantage Google sees in the creation of Chromium?

Why not put resources into Firefox?

Is Chromium going to be lighter/faster than any of its competition?

Time will tell.

zmjjmz
September 17th, 2008, 01:27 AM

Time will tell.

The stability afforded by having each tab as its separate process.

LaRoza
September 17th, 2008, 04:13 AM

I was disappointed it wasn't available for Linux, but I installed it on Windows and it is much better than Firefox.

I use it on Windows now for certain things.

handy
September 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Would you mind giving some more details of your experience please LaRoza?

teddybairs1
September 17th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I downloaded it last night when I saw an article on LinuxToday.com. Installed the Ubuntu package with gdebi. Except for a couple of minor graphical glitches when you move it around on the screen it works as flawlessly similar to a native Windows installation as I can tell. Flash doesn't work in it, but everything else seems to work just fine. I was pretty surprised. If I didn't know it was WINE I would have sworn it was native.

Comhra
September 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I downloaded it last night when I saw an article on LinuxToday.com. Installed the Ubuntu package with gdebi. Except for a couple of minor graphical glitches when you move it around on the screen it works as flawlessly similar to a native Windows installation as I can tell. Flash doesn't work in it, but everything else seems to work just fine. I was pretty surprised. If I didn't know it was WINE I would have sworn it was native.

I tried it for a few hours last night and those minor glitches showed up just as you describe. The deal breaker for me is that I prefer FF and though it runs well in Wine, I decided to get rid of it. Not many features on it but I suppose it's promising. I'll give it another go when they release a native version.

handy
September 18th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Can you import your FF bookmarks?

I have about 800 of the things (very well organises of course ;-))

jrusso2
September 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM

I have the Windows version installed on XP and just installed the crossover version of Chromium on Ubuntu and this really looks just like the Windows one.

Not sure whats different but it acts buggier. Maybe its because its running on WINE. Doesn't seem like the update server works for it. They might have disconnected it.

ELD
September 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Not only that, but:

So anyone either complaining that it doesn't work well, or pumping it as "Chrome for Linux", doesn't quite understand what's happening.

Common sense is also needed to actually read the websites the post before posting it...

Half-Left
September 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I'll wait for the port, it's not like it's a critical app. I think they waste resources on something thats going to be ported native soon, or try to draw attention to themselfs and their product.

handy
September 18th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'll wait for the port, it's not like it's a critical app. I think they waste resources on something thats going to be ported native soon, or try to draw attention to themselfs and their product.

Codeweavers are showing that their technology works & works well.

It has been done to show that Codeweavers (who are the primary developers of Wine) know what they are doing & to attract more business for them, as the Crossover products are how they pay their mortgage.

Half-Left
September 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Codeweavers are showing that their technology works & works well.

It has been done to show that Codeweavers (who are the primary developers of Wine) know what they are doing & to attract more business for them, as the Crossover products are how they pay their mortgage.

They contribute back to wine like Cedega do(or supposed to), Wine has had Chrome working in 1.1.4 before crossover, it's not about how they get paid because most freesoftware devs dont, including wine dev.

handy
September 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
They contribute to wine, Wine has had Chrome working in 1.1.4 before crossover, it's not about how they get paid because most freesoftware devs dont, including wine dev.

So what?

Can you be more specific please, so I for one can answer you.

Half-Left
September 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
You have to pay for Crossover which makes it a non freesoftware project, wine is not the same. Your also paying for something that is not properly working ether, they rushed to get it working to market their own product, you may as well use wine which is free.

handy
September 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Could someone please tell me if you can import Firefox bookmarks?

Canis familiaris
September 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
You have to pay for Crossover which makes it a non freesoftware project, wine is not the same. Your also paying for something that is not properly working ether, they rushed to get it working to market their own product, you may as well use wine which is free.
No. It is not non-free because it is paid. It's considered non-free because it contains proprietary code and proprietary DLLs.
Free Software could be paid (in terms of cost) as well...

Half-Left
September 18th, 2008, 02:37 PM
No. It is not non-free because it is paid. It's considered non-free because it contains proprietary code and proprietary DLLs.
Free Software could be paid (in terms of cost) as well...

Right which is still no reason to claim that chrome is ported Mac and Linux because it's not a port, see what I mean about the marketing to get you to buy it.

handy
September 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Right which is still no reason to claim that chrome is ported Mac and Linux because it's not a port, see what I mean about the marketing to get you to buy it.

I've not done the research, could someone who actually knows give me a run down please on this situation?

jrusso2
September 18th, 2008, 04:10 PM

The codeweavers one doesn't seem to be able to find Firefox boomarks but the Windows one did.

KIAaze
September 18th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I've not done the research, could someone who actually knows give me a run down please on this situation?

Google Chrome = web browser built with open source code and developed by Google. -> http://www.google.com/chrome
Chromium = open source project behind Google Chrome, released under the BSD license. -> http://code.google.com/chromium/
CrossOver Chromium = Mac and Linux port of the open source Chromium web browser. Not native. Runs through Wine. -> http://www.codeweavers.com/services/ports/chromium/

On Windows, you can import bookmarks from Firefox and Internet Explorer easily. It even asks you at startup.

Under GNU/Linux, I'm not sure and I can't check right now since I'm using openbox and it's completely buggy there. (no text)

Best solution is to just try it yourself. ;)

handy
September 19th, 2008, 02:20 AM
The codeweavers one doesn't seem to be able to find Firefox boomarks but the Windows one did.

Google Chrome = web browser built with open source code and developed by Google. -> http://www.google.com/chrome
Chromium = open source project behind Google Chrome, released under the BSD license. -> http://code.google.com/chromium/
CrossOver Chromium = Mac and Linux port of the open source Chromium web browser. Not native. Runs through Wine. -> http://www.codeweavers.com/services/ports/chromium/

On Windows, you can import bookmarks from Firefox and Internet Explorer easily. It even asks you at startup.

Under GNU/Linux, I'm not sure and I can't check right now since I'm using openbox and it's completely buggy there. (no text)

Best solution is to just try it yourself. ;)

Thank you both for the info'.

I'll wait for it to mature some before I try it.