PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to set up Evolution?

raymondvillain
September 15th, 2008, 08:11 PM
New to Ubuntu. Been using Mozilla for my gmail accounts, want to set up Evolution. Google suggests using IMAP synchronization. On the Evolution setup assistant I select IMAP and then evolution wants to know the Server, User Name, Security (Use Secure Connection), and Authentication Type (password box, and then box "check for supported types").

What do I put in these boxes? For example, what does Evolution want in the Server box? An ISP address like 123.123.123.123?

I am clueless. Thanks in advance.

howefield
September 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM
receiving mail server name is imap.gmail.com and security is SSL Encryption.
Authentication is PLAIN and I'd hope that you already know your username and password ;)

Post again is you need more.

Therion
September 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
What kind of email account are you going to be using? Do you have, for example, a Yahoo! account, or Gmail... Or is it an account provided by your Internet Service Provider?

Once we know that, we can help you set up the configuration in Evolution.

Mornedhel
September 15th, 2008, 08:18 PM
In your GMail account : Settings (top-right corner), Forwarding and POP/IMAP, IMAP Access > Configuration Instructions, Mail Clients > Other

Thelasko
September 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
What do I put in these boxes? For example, what does Evolution want in the Server box? An ISP address like 123.123.123.123?

It's called an IP address and no, it doesn't want that. What it wants can be found here. (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287)

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - pop.gmail.com

Use SSL: Yes

Port: 995
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)

Use Authentication: Yes

Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)

Port: 465 or 587
Account Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Email Address: your email address (username@gmail.com or username@your_domain.com)
Password: your Gmail password

howefield
September 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Why would he use the pop server name when setting up an IMAP account ?

Thelasko
September 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Why would he use the pop server name when setting up an IMAP account ?

Woops! I need to read more carefully.

Here are the IMAP settings. (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78799)

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - imap.gmail.com

Use SSL: Yes

Port: 993
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)

Use Authentication: Yes

Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)

Port: 465 or 587
Account Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com) Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com

Email Address: your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com) Google Apps users, please enter username@your_domain.com

Password: your Gmail password

_sAm_
September 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
He cant enter the port himself, Evolution will do it when he choose SSL and STARTTLS(just so he dont look for it).

raymondvillain
September 16th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Thanks so much for all the help, folks. But in the evolution setup assistant, where it asks for server, do I use the incoming server or the outgoing server? I think that evolution ought to know both server names, should it not?

zephyrcat
September 16th, 2008, 04:02 AM
I while ago I wrote a tutorial on this. I think it might help, since it covers both the Evolution steps and the GMail steps. You can find it here:

http://www.linuxloop.com/gmailevolution/index.shtml

crazypenguin2008
September 16th, 2008, 04:03 AM
i use rocket mail. can evoloution be setup to work with rocket mail?

raymondvillain
September 16th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Got it! Zephyrcat's tutorial was the clincher. Thanks to all for your time and helpfulness.

raymondvillain

raymondvillain
September 16th, 2008, 04:28 AM
But one more thing. Is it possible to set up Evolution to handle email from more than one ISP? Such as Gmail and Hotmail both?

zephyrcat
September 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Glad my tutorial helped!

Yes, it is possible, I believe. I am not sure of the exact steps, but it is probably something like going to File > Add Account. Just look through the menus and I bet you will find something.

raymondvillain
September 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
RE adding more accounts to evolution. I did find it, under "Edit > Preferences > Add" and off you go! Thanks again.