PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know if the new nano works with linux?

markp1989
September 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
i just ordered my self one of the new nanos, 16gb

has any one tried using it with ubuntu?

vanadium
September 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
nano still works for me. When I type "nano" at the prompt, it appears. Didn't know there was a new version, though :lolflag:

plb
September 15th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Nope, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Seems when all the new ipods are released, people around here always go out and buy them then have problems getting them to work under Linux. Maybe this won't be the case this time, but it does seem to be an ongoing trend at least for a couple of months.

swisscow
September 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I have one of the new classics. Just plugged it in, job done. GTKPod and Amarok work fine.

god0fgod
September 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM
nano still works for me. When I type "nano" at the prompt, it appears. Didn't know there was a new version, though :lolflag:

lol Exactly what I was thinking.

markp1989
September 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
my ipod nano 4th gen arrived to day (though it be specific so you smart asses dont make any nano text editor jokes, lol)

tried to use gtkpod, but under ipod model it doesnt have the the ipod nano 4th generation listed.

any help?

thanks

picpak
September 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I have one of the new classics. Just plugged it in, job done. GTKPod and Amarok work fine.

Amarok took a little more work for me, but yes, they work great.

billgoldberg
September 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM
i just ordered my self one of the new nanos, 16gb

has any one tried using it with ubuntu?

What the hell is a nano?

I presume you don't mean the text editor or the prefix meaning 10 to the -9th.

will1911a1
September 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who thought he was referring to the text editor.

sloggerkhan
September 26th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I thought it was about the via processor at first.

myusername
September 26th, 2008, 06:23 PM
the new ipod nanos were just released. your gonna have to wait a while if you want it to work with linux (if it does at all) just start going to ipod compatible music players websites (like amarok, gtkpod etc.) and see if they have any updates released (cause they probably aren't in the repos)

markp1989
September 26th, 2008, 08:00 PM
i can get rhythmbox and gtkpod to see the ipod, but its mounted readonly, any help?

SuperSonic4
September 26th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Can you get into it as user/root and change the permissions to read and write? Or just try deleting the iTunes lock file (or similar) in /media/iPod/iPod Control or something?

nick09
September 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Try Songbird with the Ipod addon. My 80GB 6th Gen Classic works great with the exception of album art; plus you can restore your ipod via Songbird and do not end up deleting the games that come with it.:)

markp1989
September 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Can you get into it as user/root and change the permissions to read and write? Or just try deleting the iTunes lock file (or similar) in /media/iPod/iPod Control or something?

i tried runing pcmanfm as root, and then chenging permision, but it wont let me,

i also tried a chown, and chmod, both as sudo, and still i get a permision denied warning!

zmjjmz
September 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
You should check what filesystem it's formatted as.
I bet they format it HFS+ initially, so you're going to need to take it to a Windows computer and reformat it fat32 (but you'd still need the appropriate iPod files, so you would need to use iTunes on Windows instead of just mkfs on Linux)

markp1989
September 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
You should check what filesystem it's formatted as.
I bet they format it HFS+ initially, so you're going to need to take it to a Windows computer and reformat it fat32 (but you'd still need the appropriate iPod files, so you would need to use iTunes on Windows instead of just mkfs on Linux)

i have already done that, i attached it to my sisters pc , so its formated as FAT32

zmjjmz
September 26th, 2008, 11:40 PM
i have already done that, i attached it to my sisters pc , so its formated as FAT32

Try connecting it while it's in disk mode.
I think you can get it there by putting it on hold, then rebooting it, and while it's rebooting hold down select+play/stop.

ceb0
October 2nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
Amarok worked (nearly) fine with my new nano. I had to tell it that it was a 3rd gen though. Only problem is that i have album artwork in cover flow, but not while the song is playing, and not scrolling at the bottom of the menu. similar to http://amarok.kde.org/forum/index.php/topic,15750.0.html

I haven't had to plug it into a windows/mac box to set it up either - hopefully it will never have to go near a windows machine, let alone itunes.