PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome connect with SSH and Public Keys

KDB9000
September 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I am trying to connect to a server that has SSH on it, but I need to use my public keys to access the server. Is there a was to get the Gnome Server connect to use my public keys to connect to the server or do I need to look at another way?

iponeverything
September 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
you can -
just make sure that public key is in the .ssh/authorized_keys file of your account on the remote server and that your private key is in .ssh/id_rsa.pub (or dsa depending what type of key) on the local machine. and that the perms are correct for files (not permissive)

KDB9000
September 16th, 2008, 01:32 PM
No luck. I have RSA keys (the public and private one) and I tried both. They were made using the putty key gen tool. I have the key in the right place for the server, I know this because I used my key to login though ssh. I have used winscp to login to the system with the key.

I changed my public, then tried it with the private, is_rsa.pub and it still won't connect. Any other thoughts?

KDB9000
September 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Bump?

KDB9000
September 22nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
Anyone? It should be possible.

KDB9000
October 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Turns out that the putty key gen system doesn't work with OpenSSH. I generated OpenSSH keys and then converted a copy to putty and everything is happy now.