PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] GNOME won't load

ptn
September 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi all. Yesterday I was trying to install checkgmail and I bumped into this site http://marius.scurtescu.com/2007/06/25/installing_checkgmail_on_ubuntu I followed the instructions but nothing happened, so I figured I'd remove what I'd installed. When I ran 'sudo apt-get remove libextutils-depends-perl libextutils-pkgconfig-perl' a LOT of packages were removed, I read something about rhythmbox, update-manager, compiz and power-somethingIcouldntcatch. Definately more than 15 packages.

This morning, system won't boot. I type my login+passwd and the computer is just there, not frozen, but not doing anything either. Fixes from recovery-mode dont' help and I can only login with failsafe terminal, GNOME failsafe says something about "Couldn't find installation'. I tried reinstalling those two packages, but nothing happened.

Any ideas? Is there a way to check what all those removed packages were? Sort of like a history of term prints? Would it be advisable to reinstall them all?

Thanks a lot

Partyboi2
September 16th, 2008, 01:14 AM
You could have a look at /var/log/apt/term.log to see what was removed. To view from the terminal type

sudo cat /var/log/apt/term.log | more

ptn
September 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Thanks! I installed everything back again and everything's ok now. For the record, here's what was missing:

Removing ubufox ...
Removing apturl ...
Removing ubuntu-desktop ...
Removing gnome-app-install ...
Removing gnome-volume-manager ...
Removing gnome-mount ...
Removing gnome-session ...
Removing gnome-power-manager ...
Removing libsexy-dev ...
Removing rhythmbox ...
Removing policykit-gnome ...
Removing update-notifier ...