PDA

View Full Version : mc, why it's not on Ubuntu CD/DVD?

PryGuy
September 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Peace, everyone!

Midnight Commander is a vital tool for me when I raise servers. I understand one can download it from the Ubuntu repo, but sometimes it's hard technically 'cause I have to establish a PPTP connection first that is very widespread in Russia, I have to edit my configuration files for that and I love doing that in my mc (I like nano, but I prefer mc) that's not included, so I have to keep a previously downloaded deb file and install it manually...:twisted: So, one question, why?

karellen
September 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
that's a good question, considering that much larger programs that nobody uses (ekiga? totem?) are included in the default installation

PryGuy
September 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
MC is so damn small... Pleeeease... [-o<

Polygon
September 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
totem? your kidding right, thats ubuntu's media player.

i agree that i personally don't use eikga, but honestly, you can just install stuff when your using a live cd if you reallllly want to use it

or just make your own live cd.

PryGuy
September 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Install stuff? You mean? And how can you 'install stuff' if you use a server install?

zekopeko
September 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
well mc isn't that small. if i remember correctly it something like 3-4mb.

hary_tp
September 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
i would like to see mc installed default in ubuntu

armageddon08
September 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I think most of us out here use VLC.

just make your own live cd.
Yeah.......that's a really good idea.

Npl
September 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
just copy the .deb on a Memory-Stick. Should only take a few seconds to install that way.
Just because you like MC doesnt mean everyone else wants it, if you look at the daily Hardy-CDs, they are already oversized (>702MB) and wont fit on a normal CD.

karellen
September 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM

i agree that i personally don't use eikga, but honestly, you can just install stuff when your using a live cd if you reallllly want to use it

or just make your own live cd.

that's Ubuntu's default media player. I doubt many people actually use it, considering the alternatives - like vlc (my default video player in both Linux and Vista)

karellen
September 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
maybe a poll hosted by ubuntu. com concerning the default package selection wouldn't be such a bad idea :)

steeleyuk
September 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Totem is part of GNOME so its very unlikely to be changed.

Oldsoldier2003
September 15th, 2008, 02:54 PM
maybe a poll hosted by ubuntu. com concerning the default package selection wouldn't be such a bad idea :)

Polls generally don't work the package "popularity contest" has more weight. The Desktop Team is in charge of deciding what is in the default installation.

See the team's Wiki Page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam) for more info.

karellen
September 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Polls generally don't work the package "popularity contest" has more weight. The Desktop Team is in charge of deciding what is in the default installation.

See the team's Wiki Page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam) for more info.

I understand, thanks for the link :D

Canis familiaris
September 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Brainstorm it if you wish.

qstraza
September 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM
well let me do part:p

mplayer and mc ;>

Polygon
September 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM
mplayer's gui is terrible.

and vlc cannot be included by default as it has ffmpeg with mp3 and DVD support built in, so it could run into legal issues.

so, unless someone can make a 'good' mplayer gui that doesn't suck horribly like most do right now, totem is there to stay =)

qstraza
September 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM
i like mplayer w/o gui.

qazwsx
September 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM
mplayer's gui is terrible.

and vlc cannot be included by default as it has ffmpeg with mp3 and DVD support built in, so it could run into legal issues.

so, unless someone can make a 'good' mplayer gui that doesn't suck horribly like most do right now, totem is there to stay =)
There are two very good GUI frontends for mplayer. First is written in QT4 (SMPlayer) and the other one is Xt7-Player (written in Gambas and in theory can use both toolkits but requires bunch of gambas related depencies). So probably SMPlayer for Kubuntu in future but on the other hand it is not integrated into KDE (KParts and such). Everyone should prefer CLI controlled MPlayer ;)

mc never liked it and I prefer simple commands instead of TUI. It should be included into DVD though.