PDA

View Full Version : [kde] firefox goes fugly after gtk-qt-engine install

dijxtra
September 15th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I run vanilla Ubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3.5 on top of it and today Adept Updater installed gtk-qt-engine. I didn't spare time to read about what that package is (who does that anyway?) so now my firefox is fugly, and leafpad and gajim too. Should I configure gtk-qt-engine after it is installed? Or do I need it at all, can I just delete it and live without it? What do I need it for anyway?

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
ur rite! :( i just replaced the new version with the old one and the settings are back. the gtk style configurator in KDE Control Center also disappeared after the new version install.

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 15th, 2008, 12:48 PM
my bad! the new version clearly states in the desciption that its directed at kde4 users! so i didn't rtfm properly!

dijxtra
September 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM
my bad! the new version clearly states in the desciption that its directed at kde4 users! so i didn't rtfm properly!
Well, apart from gtk-qt-engine, Adept installed gtk-qt-engine-kde4 also. I suppose gtk-qt-engine is for kde3 then, right?

BTW, yes, I have both KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.1 installed on my system. Could there be a collision of some kind?

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Well, apart from gtk-qt-engine, Adept installed gtk-qt-engine-kde4 also. I suppose gtk-qt-engine is for kde3 then, right?

BTW, yes, I have both KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.1 installed on my system. Could there be a collision of some kind?

kde4 thing that adept installed is just a transitional package, which is not needed once the engine is installed. the gtk-qt-engine is the real deal!

baruch60610
September 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I had the same thing happen, but I can't say that it was related to gtk-qt-engine. As far as I recall, I had that already installed.

However, I *was* adding some other gtk engines. When I restarted Firefox, it was indeed fugly beyond all reason. Mostly it looked as though all my spaces were tabs, three, four, maybe even five character widths in every space.

I tried uninstalling FF and removing every hint of a config file, which did nothing.

I haven't yet found a way to fix it. I'd love to hear any hints from someone who figured out how to make it all better.

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I had the same thing happen, but I can't say that it was related to gtk-qt-engine. As far as I recall, I had that already installed.

However, I *was* adding some other gtk engines. When I restarted Firefox, it was indeed fugly beyond all reason. Mostly it looked as though all my spaces were tabs, three, four, maybe even five character widths in every space.

I tried uninstalling FF and removing every hint of a config file, which did nothing.

I haven't yet found a way to fix it. I'd love to hear any hints from someone who figured out how to make it all better.

ur rite! i had the engine already installed as well. but adept updated it with the new package and thats when the screwup began. but after having had a closer look at it, it was very clear that this update was meant for kde4.1, and since the qt engine i had previously was also qt4, maybe it was upgraded! assuming ur in kde3.5 and its variants, its simple to reset the update!

open synaptic and search for gtk-qt-engine. u will get the newly installed package. mark it and goto Package->Force Version, and choose the older one and install. everything shud be back to normal again.

dijxtra
September 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
open synaptic and search for gtk-qt-engine. u will get the newly installed package. mark it and goto Package->Force Version, and choose the older one and install. everything shud be back to normal again.
Yup, that fixed it. That package was downloaded from ppa.launchpad.net which I put to my list of repositories when KDE 4.1 got out. Now that I removed that repository from my list, will my KDE 4.1 installation still get updated? Is KDE 4.1 now in official ubuntu repositories?

Giant Speck
September 15th, 2008, 09:55 PM
So, wait. How am I supposed to change my GTK Styles & Fonts settings now that it's been removed from the Control Center?