PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not sure how to install pre-downloaded copy of Thunderbird

jeremytas
September 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I have just downloaded a copy of Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 from the Mozilla website. After having done this, I realised I could have installed it using the "Add/Remove" option on the Applications menu or alternatively by typing "sudo apt-get install thunderbird" in a command shell. Never mind, but...

If I use either of these two automated methods, it will almost certainly download Thunderbird all over again. Is there a way I can just install the copy I have already downloaded? I can't see any sort of Setup or Install file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but if it's too complicated I might just use the "Add/Remove" option after all, which although straightforward, would be a waste of the file I have already downloaded.

jeremytas
September 16th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Didn't get any suggestions from anyone with this, so never mind. I ended up deleting the copy that I had previously downloaded from the Mozilla website and just used the Add/Remove option (which downloaded it again).

babloo75
January 30th, 2009, 10:08 PM
any suggestions for the above query?????????????
please help..

Bios Element
January 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM
...Just run this in console.

sudo apt-get install thunderbird

babloo75
January 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM
...Just run this in console.

sudo apt-get install thunderbird

But will this command install the latest version?

cariboo
January 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM
No it won't. THe command will install the latest version that is in the repository. If you need the latest you have to down load it from Mozilla and install it manually. When you download a compressed file, double-click and file-roller will extract it for you. Once the package is extracted, there isually a readme file that tells you how to install it. I would suggest if you manually install programs, you set up a directory to store the sources, that way if you want to uninstall it you just have to go into the source directory and follow the instruction in the readme or install file.

Jim