PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless recognition has disappeared?

brianedwardjarvis
September 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM

(ubuntu 8.04) After updating loads of software, i can longer see any thing about having wireless internet. In the network settings image above, it used to (a couple of hours ago) say something about wireless connections along with the wired connection and point to point that are still there. How do i go back to such a glorious time? Is there a way to set up my network settings back to the way they where when i first installed ubuntu 8.04, short of actually re-installing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-brian

Crafty Kisses
September 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Post the results of this command:

lshw -C network

Nathan_M
September 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Also, have you checked to see if you're wireless is actually switched on? It really confused me for a few hours a couple of days ago, then I realised that (on my Dell laptop) pressing Fn + F2 to toggle wireless did the job!

brianedwardjarvis
September 15th, 2008, 05:32 PM
These are the results for lshw -C network:
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 19
bus info: pci@0000:00:19.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:1d:60:e0:ca:42
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=0.2.0 firmware=0.9-2 ip=192.168.0.197 latency=0 module=e1000e multicast=yes

When I did this command yesterday it showed info about a wireless device as well, but as you can see, it doesn't show that anymore.

Nathan_M, the computer is a desktop and doesn't have a switch that I'm aware of, or an actual function key because of that as well.

-brian

aloshbennett
September 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
It could be that its not displayed in the nm-applet area because of wicd. Lets see if we can get hold of the device in some other way.
Could you try out these:
1. iwconfig
2. System->Administration-> Hardware testing.

brianedwardjarvis
September 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
This is the output for iwconfig:

brian@brian-desktop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

I did hardware testing and created an account with launchpad so that i could send the results. The testing didn't ask me anything about wireless though, only my wired device.

-brian

aloshbennett
September 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Ubuntu doesnt recognize your card anymore.

There are a bunch of things you could try and get the card working. Can you go thru this manual?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide#Check%20Device

brianedwardjarvis
September 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Well I tried to go through that manual but I am stumped at the "sudo pccardctl ident" command. Nothing happens when I type it in. Then the manual says to use this command "gksudo gedit /etc/pcmcia/config.opts" to edit that file. It shows me an example and then says to substitute my data instead of what's in their example. The trouble is that I don't know how to find my data that I'm supposed to be substituting. Yesterday I used the livecd on it and got wireless to work, but I couldn't get any info from the pccardctl ident command their either though. Livecd did give me this information with iwconfig(i think):
*-network
Description:Wirelessinterface
physical:3
logical name:wlan0
serial:00:16:44:71:8b:27
capabilities:ethernet physical wireless
configuration:broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

I don't know if it's useful, but just in case. Where do i go from here?

-brian