PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] windows disappeared after fresh install of ubuntu

boboy
September 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Hello ..I'm a newcomer to this forum and to Ubuntu. I hope someone can help me with a problem that I ran into after installing Ubuntu for the first time. I was currently running Windows and decided to boot from an Ubuntu cd I had purchased with a ubuntu starter pack. The documentation with the starter pack clearly stated that you can easily install Ubuntu to dualboot with Windows using GRUB. After manually partitioning my available disc space and giving Ubuntu more than enough room; it installed just fine. However, when it reboots GRUB doesn't give me an option to choose which OS to load. It automatically boots in UBUNTU by default.

iaculallad
September 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Hello ..I'm a newcomer to this forum and to Ubuntu. I hope someone can help me with a problem that I ran into after installing Ubuntu for the first time. I was currently running Windows and decided to boot from an Ubuntu cd I had purchased with a ubuntu starter pack. The documentation with the starter pack clearly stated that you can easily install Ubuntu to dualboot with Windows using GRUB. After manually partitioning my available disc space and giving Ubuntu more than enough room; it installed just fine. However, when it reboots GRUB doesn't give me an option to choose which OS to load. It automatically boots in UBUNTU by default.

When you see the "GRUB Booting..." message on startup, press the ESC key so you could see other boot options.

boboy
September 16th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the tip "iaculallad"...Unfortunately I only see three options to boot from after hitting escape, and they are all Ubuntu, NO Windows option in the list. The list of available options to boot are as follows: Ubuntu 7.10, kernel - generic, Ubuntu 7.10, kernel - generic (recovery mode) and Ubuntu 7.10 - memtest86+. I would just like to know if there's a way to recover my Windows OS, then maybe I can try reinstalling. I could have mounted Ubuntu incorrectly. Any suggestions ?