PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Internet Video Settings

RussW210
September 15th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Hello, I am having problems viewing full-screen youtube videos. For some reason, whenever I maximize a youtube video to full screen, I see flashes of the desktop showing up periodically every 2-3 seconds. I don't know why that keeps happening.

Here are my computer specs:
Q6600 Quad-Core Processor
3GB RAM (Not even being used past 15%)
ATI 128MB HD 2400 Video Card

I am not running a lot of programs, so my computer is definitely powerful enough to run full screen.

I don't have this problem with videos on VLC player or really anything else. Can someone help? I have Java installed, and I believe Flash. Hmm...

lisati
September 15th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I'm not sure of the answer, but sometimes I get a similar effect with MS-Windows when there are other processes (e.g. Skype) which pop up a window when something happens where it might want to alert you to something (e.g. another Skype user logging on or off)

RussW210
September 15th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I don't think that has anything to do with it. I just started up my computer (nothing else running), turned on firefox and went to youtube and get it when the full-screen comes on... just flashes of the desktop background. I am wondering if there is a setting in Compiz-Fusion that I have to change?

RussW210
September 15th, 2008, 03:17 AM
It seems I have solved the problem...

I went to the Advanced Desktop Effect Settings for Compiz Fusion. Someone in a post about a year ago suggested:

"If not present install "Advanced Desktop Effect settings" , then uncheck "Unredirect fullscreen windows" in "General Options" and "Support legacy fullscreen" in the plugin "Workaround"."

That didn't work. However, I did notice under the Utility: Workarounds, a box was unchecked called: "Fix screen updates in XGL with fglrx."

Bada bing, no more choppyness!

RussW210
September 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Nevermind, it is still happening after I restarted my computer... that is odd. I checked and all the settings are the same on the Advanced Desktop Settings Manager but it is still flashing! =(

Anybody have an idea?

RussW210
September 15th, 2008, 03:26 AM
There is something screwy going on here... I unchecked "application switcher" (because for some reason when looking at the open applications they all came up as a blank white screen) and it stops glitching again on full screen. But if I restart it will happen again. Anybody?

RussW210
September 15th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Yep, still happening. Is anybody out there?

RussW210
September 15th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Bump