PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lost scroll capabilities on my touchpad

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 02:42 AM
yes I just fixed screwed up graphics and now everything is great but I can't scroll. What do I have to do now?

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 02:47 AM
First off, did you try to enable your scroll pad.

Im assuming your on a latop

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
First off, did you try to enable your scroll pad.

Im assuming your on a latop

I'm on a laptop. I enabled nothing but my graphics which were screwed up. ny cursor moves fine, i just can't scroll the page. like now when I want to submit, I have to use the scroll bar or down arrows - LAME!

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
ok, you need to enable your touch pad. it is usually Fn+????? Each laptop is different. You may have accidentally turned your touchpad off when you were trying to fix the graphix on your laptop.

My Laptop is an Acer Aspire 3680 my touchpad control is Fn+F7

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 03:16 PM
ok, you need to enable your touch pad. it is usually Fn+????? Each laptop is different. You may have accidentally turned your touchpad off when you were trying to fix the graphix on your laptop.

My Laptop is an Acer Aspire 3680 my touchpad control is Fn+F7

what is "Fn"?

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
It is your function key, usually placed on the bottom left hand of your keyboard. between Ctrl (control) and your super button (the button that looks like a window logo) next 2 buttons would be your Alt and space buttons.

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
It is your function key, usually placed on the bottom left hand of your keyboard. between Ctrl (control) and your super button (the button that looks like a window logo) next 2 buttons would be your Alt and space buttons.

got it wow never knew it was there. I'm trying to reference the correct combination for my system. I don't care to just start hitting buttons.?

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
got it wow never knew it was there. I'm trying to reference the correct combination for my system. I don't care to just start hitting buttons.?
i wouldnt do that, you might push the wrong combo and get some unwanted effects. What type of laptop u have, manufactureer and model, and i will go look it up for you

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 03:40 PM
i wouldnt do that, you might push the wrong combo and get some unwanted effects. What type of laptop u have, manufactureer and model, and i will go look it up for you

hp pavillion dv6700

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
ok, found the manual.

you wont be needing the function key for this. on the top of your touchpad, right next to the ligh (i dont know if the light is working in linux) there is a button, that is the button to toggle your touch pad on and off).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/houstonkeebler/button.jpg it is labeled on number 4

the service manaul for your laptop (static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/HP_Pavilion_dv6500_dv6600_dv6700_NotebookPC-MnSG.pdf) its in PDF form.

btw, did you get the fingerprint scanner working in linux

lswest
September 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I doubt that's his problem, since he can use the touchpad to move the cursor. Check your xorg.conf file to see if there is a driver specified for the touchpad. If it's there and the device driver is not synaptics, that's your problem. Otherwise I'm not sure.

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I doubt that's his problem, since he can use the touchpad to move the cursor. Check your xorg.conf file to see if there is a driver specified for the touchpad. If it's there and the device driver is not synaptics, that's your problem. Otherwise I'm not sure.

can I have the commands for that specifically?

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM

well I assumed his touchpad wasnt working at all. Figured he might of plugged in a mouse, or used hotkeys to move his cursor around.

lswest
September 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
can I have the commands for that specifically?

Sure, basically what I do is this:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak ##makes a backup of it
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and the part that corresponds to my touchpad (on an HP dv6545eg) is this:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen" 0 0
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection
##cut out some stuff corresponding to my keyboard and configured mouse
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "True"
EndSection

you may, however, need to change the device name (not sure how to figure that one out)

Hope it helps,
Lswest

and @ k33bz I can see how you thought that, I guess I understood what he was saying in that way since I had had a similar issue with my own touchpad.

knix
September 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Just add this to your mouse/touchpad section in ypur xorg.conf:

Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "True"
Option "VertEdgeScroll" "True"

I had to do this in Debian Sid.

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 04:43 PM
all I have is this:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Thu Feb 14 18:20:37 PST 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

lswest
September 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
The relevant section is this:

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
EndSection
just change the driver to synaptics and add the vertical and horizontal scroll options (however, back up the file before editing it, just in case it doesn't work).

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 04:57 PM
The relevant section is this:

just change the driver to synaptics and add the vertical and horizontal scroll options (however, back up the file before editing it, just in case it doesn't work).

i backed it up as you described in your previous post correct?

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
just change this area.

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
EndSection

see, change the Driver from "mouse" to "synaptics"

lswest
September 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Correct, and then editing the parts we listed above should do it.

adamogardner
September 15th, 2008, 07:45 PM
it worked, and I'm now discovering the majik of shell scripts. is there a list or something of gedit scripts that I can explore and tweek one by one? I'm trying to get real familiar with my system and without a guide it's slow learning. Thanks so much for the work yu put into this.

i guess what i mean is this command can be used for what else?
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Any file in etc? I'm trying to understand more than I comprehend about this, I just want the "power" in my brain to make things happen here

lswest
September 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Well /etc/sysctl is always something interesting to look at, otherwise just check out your .bashrc file in your home folder. Should keep you busy for a little while ;) Most files I find are tied to system tweaking tutorials, so why not have a google for those? (e.g. speed up ubuntu hardy, etc.)

ah, Gedit is just a text editor, much like nano or vim or notepad (from windows). The /etc/X11/xorg.conf is just the file. There are hundreds of config files in your system. Before playing with any of them though, always back it up, and be careful what you change (keep track of it if you can).

If you're interested, I wrote an aliasing how-to (http://lswest-ubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/06/aliasing-how-to.html) once that uses the .bashrc file. Also, I used nano instead of gedit in it, would give you a bit of a change if you're interested.