PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Downloaded Themes

sjrlaw
September 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I am trying to install Gnome themes into Hardy that I downloaded from the Net. I download and extract the tarball, then run the theme installer. I click the Install button and navigate to the folder where the theme is, but when I click the Open button, all it does is open the folder; it does not add the theme to the list of those that can be selected. Am I missing something?

kostkon
September 15th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I am trying to install Gnome themes into Hardy that I downloaded from the Net. I download and extract the tarball, then run the theme installer. I click the Install button and navigate to the folder where the theme is, but when I click the Open button, all it does is open the folder; it does not add the theme to the list of those that can be selected. Am I missing something?
You have to keep the tarballs, don't extract them. Then go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance to install them.

sjrlaw
September 15th, 2008, 05:43 AM
That worked, thanks. However, there are some tarballs that I am downloading from Gnome-look that give me an error when I try to install them. It says that it "does not appear to be a valid theme." Are these just defective themes I downloaded, or am I missing something?

Casper Hansen
September 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
After extracting the tarball just copy the folder to your /usr/share/themes.
- I think that will work for all downloaded themes.

sudo cp -R [foldername] /usr/share/themes