PDA

View Full Version : Who else needs 3d to the radeon hd 3870x2?

OliverN
September 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I need to share the wait with someone.

let's get counting...

Dython
September 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
count me in ,, want to use ubuntu but stil staing with vista becuase of this :mad:

OliverN
September 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I recieved this through the radeonhd mailing list today on the issue of 3d support to the R670 chip:

For 3D (DRI, DRM) we still have to wait. Hopefully some basic 3D
should be done soon. According to Phoronix it should come a few weeks
after publishing R600 docs (and publishing should happen in
september). So _maybe_ you can see some basic 3D in october...

--
Rafał Miłecki

-a lot of reservations here, but still promising news! :KS

Nozze
November 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
me 2, stuck with Winblows XP 'til then.
need my warhammer online on regaly dozes.

OliverN
November 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
lol, don't we all...

anyway, new 8.11 release out and still no support.:cry:

3rdalbum
November 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Isn't it the 4870 X2?

OliverN
November 15th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I don't know about that. All I know is

The ATI Radeon™ HD 3870X2 series of product is currently
not supported by the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite

8.11 Release notes (The ATI Radeon™ HD 3870X2 series of product is currently not supported by the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite), p.3

3rdalbum
November 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Oh, then, well that sucks big time! Considering that ATI are onto the 4*** series now, there should be no excuse for the 3*** series not to work!

bufsabre666
November 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM
i wouldnt be expecting them anytime soon, so far only the 4 series supports crossfire and even then i think only selective chips. even though its on the same card it still works via crossfire. the best you can prolly hope for is support when the radeonhd drivers catch up. or maybe theyll find a way to disable the second chip so it can use 3d accel.

i hate to be a downer to ya =(

OliverN
November 16th, 2008, 12:29 AM
or maybe theyll find a way to disable the second chip

that's all I ask for to begin with. the 3870 has been supported for some time now, and the 3870x2 is literally just two 3870s in crossfire.

but I hear what you are saying. I don't imagine this thread will help speed anything up either. I just need to see that there are other people out there who are in the same situation as me: *waiting*

Nozze
December 4th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I've gott my compiz-fusion to work with my ATI 3870x2-card.
just followed: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Intrepid_Installation_Guide#Installing_the_ restricted_drivers_.22the_Ubuntu_way.22

It's not the best drivers but works for me until I find some better ones.

OliverN
January 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
so it's possible now - working on my machine as well. great! thanks for the heads up:KS

lord_lethris
January 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I think ATI needs better support overall. All I see is nVidia this and nVidia that, when people are forgetting that 50% of us have ATI cards. And before I get flamed by 101 nVidia fanboys, not all of us are interested in gameing, I have an ATI card for 3D design and Video editing.. which we all know has always and probably will always knock the socks of anything nVidia have produced. in reality I would like to have had a Matrox Card, but unfortunately they really are no good for games, so ATI is a better compromise on my life Hobbies.

Hopefully, now that AMD are in control of ATI, and the fact that AMD support linux, maybe we will start seeing that much needed support this year.

I have several PC's in my house, and the only one NOT running ubuntu is my MAIN PC.

Here is the rough specs of all the important stuff:

Gigabyte MA770-DS3 - Works under Linux
AMD Phenom 9600 Black edition quad core - Works under Linux
4gb RAM - Works under Linux
2x 300gb hdd's (NOT raided, no point) - Works under Linux
Creative X-Fi Fatality Pro - Very Basic drivers, No feature support like, um, all the important X-Fi effects, 5.1 surround, etc
ATI 4850 pro - Very basic drivers, pig to get working, card over heats because the drivers have no fan control

It needs sorting. Vista is very VERY unstable on my system (despite being new). XP works like a dream, but I'd rather run linux now that Cedega bridges the gameing gap.

ftr, yes I admit I am an ATI fanboy, but I do understand that nVidia are very good for gameing... there just useless at everything else I do ;)

ssam
January 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM
ATI just opened up all the needed specs for 3D accelleration on r600 and r700 (HD 3xxx and HD 4xxx) cards.
http://lwn.net/Articles/313552/

the specs for previous cards are already out.

there should be good opensource drivers on their way.

lord_lethris
January 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
:D Good news!

As I said, AMD support Linux, so hopefully we will see the reflections of this through our GPU Driver Support.

OliverN
January 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM
ATI just opened up all the needed specs for 3D accelleration on r600 and r700 (HD 3xxx and HD 4xxx) cards.
http://lwn.net/Articles/313552/

the specs for previous cards are already out.

there should be good opensource drivers on their way.

that sounds almost too good to be true! -can't wait. although I think I'll concentrate on enjoying my newly found simple gl support for the time being ;)

OliverN
April 30th, 2009, 11:14 AM
9.04 is out and it's time to revive this thread.

No 3d for the 3870x2 again. Let's get whining :cry:

asyed94
May 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM
"Note: The ATI RadeonTM HD 3870 X2 series of product is currently
not supported by the ATI CatalystTM Linux software suite."

Top of pg 3 of Catalyst 9.4 release notes:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_94_linux.pdf

Im whining.