PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Outlook Express in XP, Thunderbird in Linux

cwelch
September 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I'm not exactly new to Ubuntu, but I'm trying to get away from Windows as far as I can (there are only a few things I actually need it for, and as soon as I get some experience with Wine or something to that effect, it'll be just for the wife) and I would like to get Thunderbird in 8.04 to read/write mail ect to the same files that Outlook Express uses. I looked and didn't find an answer, but thought I'd seen one a long time ago. Any suggestions?

jflaker
September 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I'm not exactly new to Ubuntu, but I'm trying to get away from Windows as far as I can (there are only a few things I actually need it for, and as soon as I get some experience with Wine or something to that effect, it'll be just for the wife) and I would like to get Thunderbird in 8.04 to read/write mail ect to the same files that Outlook Express uses. I looked and didn't find an answer, but thought I'd seen one a long time ago. Any suggestions?

Outlook/Outlook Express use PST data store and the PST data store is not readable by Thunderbird or Evolution.

If you need to move your mail from Outlook/Outlook Express, you can do what I did by setting up a GMail account and enabling IMAP (not pop as pop copies mail to your local system where IMAP stores it on the server). Then move your mail messages over to gmail and then you can choose to leave it there ore move it into Evolution or Thunderbird.....

I moved 1500+ messages to gmail and then move them to Evolution once Ubuntu and Evolution was installed.

Good luck