PDA

View Full Version : Visual Basic help!

rbolio
September 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hi! , i'm not sure if even the name of the thread is right or w/e, but ive been trying to convert a windows user to ubuntu, his excuse is that he has to use visual basic for school....so, what is it that you need (and if it similar) to MS visual basic...

i hope i made myself clear.....(aka: what program is used to write visual basic in ubuntu?)

Thank you!

fmartinez
September 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I took VB Script in College this past semester and couldn't find a good enough editor for learning VB other than the Microsoft alternative. Sometimes you have to use programs in the enviroment they are written for.
Good Luck I hope you find one I'll track this thread.

cmat
September 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Maybe this will help you out.

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/

LaRoza
September 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Hi! , i'm not sure if even the name of the thread is right or w/e, but ive been trying to convert a windows user to ubuntu, his excuse is that he has to use visual basic for school....so, what is it that you need (and if it similar) to MS visual basic...

Visual Basic is a RAD language for Windows. Some school courses require people to use OS X or Linux or a form of Unix, but people don't use the school's requirements to determine their primary OS. The reason why he doesn't want to use Ubuntu is he doesn't want to. The excuse is just an excuse for you.

But: http://www.mono-project.com/VisualBasic.NET_support

rbolio
September 14th, 2008, 10:56 PM
okay....ill see how it works under wine...see if it has any hope....or else....maybe dual boot :P hehehe XD His HDD shall suffer xD

rbolio
September 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM
i feel "excused" hahahahah!! =P

gambas seems interesting, ill give it a try with him, see if it helps him out =O

cmat
September 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
okay....ill see how it works under wine...see if it has any hope....or else....maybe dual boot :P hehehe XD His HDD shall suffer xD

VB 6.0 does last time I tried. I have my doubts about VB.NET.

cszikszoy
September 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
The only answer you need was provided by LaRoza.

Learn everything you can about Mono (and the Mono project) and everything will be clear.

Mono has support for VB.net and you can even use MonoDevelop which is an IDE very, very similar to Visual Studio.

pmasiar
September 15th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Don't waste time on trying to run VB IDE on Linux. better, become half-decent python hacker and show your friend how you can solve his homework in half the code and time. 8-)

It does not make sense to switch to Linux and run Windows apps: convert your friend to use Firefox, OpenOffice on Windows, so when he wants to switch from VB to Python, there is nothing else to stop him! :-)