PDA

View Full Version : We should do something similar to Mojave.

bobbob1016
September 14th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I've been seeing a lot of those Windows Mojave ads, where they sat people down showed them Vista, said it was Vista+1 (called Mojave), and taped the people's reactions. I don't think Vista is as problematic as people think, but I think that there is something wrong with the way they did the testing. They made sure the hardware was 100% supported, to make sure everything was perfect for Vista to work on, then showed off.

My suggestion would be for the Loco Teams to do something similar, but maybe at a Starbucks, or on a College Campus, somewhere people bring laptops. This way we could use LiveCD's and show them not only how it works on our custom system, but on their actual computers.

Or is this already going on that I'm unaware of?

liquidfunk
September 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Sadly, as much as you want to convert the world to the wonderful thing that is Linux. I don't think the world will listen.

I think the best you can do is invite your friends to it. I'm sure slowly and surely the will come.

bp1509
September 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
d

bobbob1016
September 14th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Sadly, as much as you want to convert the world to the wonderful thing that is Linux. I don't think the world will listen.

I think the best you can do is invite your friends to it. I'm sure slowly and surely the will come.

I know most won't listen, I thought maybe say "this is actually the next windows" or something like that. I've already gotten two friends on linux, and one client to buy an everex. But it was just a thought, since a live CD wouldn't hurt, and if it works on their hardware, then they know, and if it doesn't, we don't have another disgruntled "Why Ubuntu sucks" thread. Better to bring it to people before they have a "I installed Ubuntu clicked next next next, and I lost all my data. I now hate Ubuntu.", so they could have a "Some nice people showed me that it won't work out for me yet..."

SomeGuyDude
September 14th, 2008, 11:37 PM
...but I think that there is something wrong with the way they did the testing. They made sure the hardware was 100% supported, to make sure everything was perfect for Vista to work on, then showed off.

Yeah, they should have totally demonstrated their product on incompatible hardware and poor configuration. :confused:

You know I saw an ad the other day for a car, and they showed it driving on a NICE DAY with the TIRES INFLATED. Why don't these people show an ad using a model from 2002 that's never had a tuneup driving over torn up concrete during winter with one tire popped?

paul101
September 14th, 2008, 11:39 PM
we could "say" that the kde4 version of ubuntu is windows 7

JeffoOfMetal
September 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Lol, it's not like too many people would be smart enough to know it wasn't.

:lolflag:

SomeGuyDude
September 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM
we could "say" that the kde4 version of ubuntu is windows 7

That would actually be an INCREDIBLE campaign. I wholly endorse someone doing this.

"250 people raved about Windows 7, saying it was faster and looked better than Vista. What they didn't know was that it was Kubuntu, it can be acquired for free, and our demo computers were from 2006 with moderate specifications."

paul101
September 14th, 2008, 11:52 PM
That would actually be an INCREDIBLE campaign. I wholly endorse someone doing this.

"250 people raved about Windows 7, saying it was faster and looked better than Vista. What they didn't know was that it was Kubuntu, it can be acquired for free, and our demo computers were from 2006 with moderate specifications."

do we have the resources to do it?

we could set up internet cafe with "windows 7"

SomeGuyDude
September 14th, 2008, 11:58 PM
do we have the resources to do it?

we could set up internet cafe with "windows 7"

I'd imagine it'd be pretty doable. A group of people who can donate a laptop for an afternoon would do well, you'd only need maybe five of 'em.

Be sure to have a good setup going, Compiz and a desklet or two, showing off the "glitz" without making it too cumbersome.

I endorse the KDE idea because much as I like GNOME, and as cool as it'd be to show off the *boxes, the idea here would be to fool them into thinking it's an evolved Windows and KDE with 3D effects really would fit the bill perfectly.

kevin11951
September 15th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I'd imagine it'd be pretty doable. A group of people who can donate a laptop for an afternoon would do well, you'd only need maybe five of 'em.

Be sure to have a good setup going, Compiz and a desklet or two, showing off the "glitz" without making it too cumbersome.

I endorse the KDE idea because much as I like GNOME, and as cool as it'd be to show off the *boxes, the idea here would be to fool them into thinking it's an evolved Windows and KDE with 3D effects really would fit the bill perfectly.

please dont do kde, once your used to linux, kde is fine. kde is very confusing to someone who has never used linux. gnome however is simpler

on another note, we want people to see linux as its own man, not an evolution of another man. (does that defeat the point?)

bobbob1016
September 15th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah, they should have totally demonstrated their product on incompatible hardware and poor configuration. :confused:

You know I saw an ad the other day for a car, and they showed it driving on a NICE DAY with the TIRES INFLATED. Why don't these people show an ad using a model from 2002 that's never had a tuneup driving over torn up concrete during winter with one tire popped?

Well, that isn't a perfect analogy. I mean if the tires pop easily, as the Windows car would, or if the car could have some problems on roads, they'd need a disclaimer in the commercial. And I was saying we could do one better than that commercial by actually showing it running on the person's actual hardware.

I'd be willing to spend a few hours doing this though.

SomeGuyDude
September 15th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Well, that isn't a perfect analogy. I mean if the tires pop easily, as the Windows car would, or if the car could have some problems on roads, they'd need a disclaimer in the commercial. And I was saying we could do one better than that commercial by actually showing it running on the person's actual hardware.

I'd be willing to spend a few hours doing this though.

Hallmark of someone that's a pain in the *** to debate with is when they nitpick details of an analogy in lieu of talking about the main point.

They're demonstrating an OS, no duh they're going to put it in the best conditions. Have you ever, in your entire life, seen an advertising campaign that worked differently? If you have, I'd love to know. Do they have an exhibition of a nice stereo using poor speakers, or demonstrate amazing speakers with a low quality player and amp attached? Do they show off HDTVs by playing old VHS tapes?

It was a dumb "complaint" and I made a point about it. Accept it, move on, be a better person for the effort.

hanzomon4
September 15th, 2008, 01:13 AM
thank youuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobbob1016
September 15th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Hallmark of someone that's a pain in the *** to debate with is when they nitpick details of an analogy in lieu of talking about the main point.

They're demonstrating an OS, no duh they're going to put it in the best conditions. Have you ever, in your entire life, seen an advertising campaign that worked differently? If you have, I'd love to know. Do they have an exhibition of a nice stereo using poor speakers, or demonstrate amazing speakers with a low quality player and amp attached? Do they show off HDTVs by playing old VHS tapes?

It was a dumb "complaint" and I made a point about it. Accept it, move on, be a better person for the effort.

If the analogy makes my point look bad, and the analogy is flawed, then I will show the analogy doesn't fit to make my point look better.

I wasn't saying any ads were truthful, but I was saying that we could make ours more truthful than the Mojave ones. They also have on their site one guy who says "then why does it run faster" when they say it's Vista, so that would be more truthful than normal ads. I think doing something different by actually making a more truthful ad might help. Also, attacking someone personally calling them a "pain in the *** to debate with" isn't a strong way to debate either... I didn't know I complained about untruthful ads, just commenting about that they were untruthful, and saying we could make a truthful one. If you want to "debate" this as you said, I'd be glad to, either through PM or though another thread since this is off topic for this one. And "Accept it, move on, be a better person for the effort." isn't something I thought they'd teach in a debate class. I mean they'd say to do a play on words, but not a direct attack, since it could make the person saying it look bad.

Back to my point, I do think this is something that 1 LoCo Team could try, and then others could repeat if the trial run goes fine. We should put the positive and negative reactions up. I did a test run of this in my public speaking class last semester. I demo-ed my laptop running Ubuntu, and I had a picture of the Windows login screen up. Someone commented "Shouldn't you login?" I said "I know..." then as I started my speech, a persuasive one to try Linux, I rotated the cube and everyone actually "Wowed". Showed that youtube works, .doc files, mp3's and everything. Then I gave out 10 Ubuntu and Sabayon discs, for everyone to try. The whole class got up to take one, I expected to have a few left, but people wanted more. Could do something similar to that. Or just play with compiz for a bit on a widescreen laptop, and have a sign "Ask me what I'm running on my laptop" or something, so we wouldn't have to say "This is the next Windows..." then switch it to Linux.

youngalfred
September 15th, 2008, 02:31 AM
definitiely do the internet cafe thing. Big banner over the top proclaiming "Windows 7!" Then get people to use it for tasks like internet and music, video and photos. Maybe some games too, get tremulous running :) And compiz it up! though tastefully, airplanes flying around everywhere would be slightly distracting. I would donate my laptop, but its an eeepc 701, not the most comfortable ubuntu experience for learners (alt-drag alot). I think kde4 would pass of well, all the dialogs are more windowish. If for nothing else, do it for a good youtube laugh!

cookieofdoom
September 15th, 2008, 02:37 AM
We should never do something like the Mojave experiment. Showing people a video, lying about it, and then asking them to rate an operating system seems kinda like a bad idea to me.

SomeGuyDude
September 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM
We should never, ever, ever do something like the Mojave experiment. Showing people a video, lying about it, and then asking them to rate an operating system seems kinda like a bad idea to me.

Hm, maybe.

It has a merit, though. A lot of people are overly afraid of "Linux" and likely would avoid it like the plague, thinking it's for computer nerds and it's too hard to use. Sit 'em down thinking it's Windows and spring on them that it's Linux and it's free? Potential.

Jackelope
September 15th, 2008, 03:17 AM
This would be a great idea! We need hidden cameras so we can produce a youtube series like the mojave ads. It would be so funny....I'd say you're welcome to use my laptop, but its got issues with compiz so I doubt you want it. I look forward to seeing how this evolves.

SunnyRabbiera
September 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
please dont do kde, once your used to linux, kde is fine. kde is very confusing to someone who has never used linux. gnome however is simpler

on another note, we want people to see linux as its own man, not an evolution of another man. (does that defeat the point?)

I dunno, I started off on KDE and I found it very easy. but that was KDE3, not 4 :)

amazingtaters
September 15th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Hm, maybe.

It has a merit, though. A lot of people are overly afraid of "Linux" and likely would avoid it like the plague, thinking it's for computer nerds and it's too hard to use. Sit 'em down thinking it's Windows and spring on them that it's Linux and it's free? Potential.

This.

Honestly, it's an awesome idea, imho. I've gotten friends to switch over to Ubuntu just by letting them use my computer every once in a while. They liked the ease of use, and my lappy isn't exactly a high spec machine. Couple this to a general displeasure with Vista, which runs slowly on many friends computers, and they were converted. Most people ask me how I got windows to look like it does on my compy, and are astounded when I tell them it's linux, thinking that we live in a world of cli still...

bobbob1016
September 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Instead of saying "Next version of Windows" would saying "New OS" be a problem? I figure that would be better, so when we say "This is Linux" someone wouldn't believe it, but we wouldn't be building on Windows...

bobbob1016
September 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Anyone still want to do this?

boobuntu
September 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I need to check out this "Mojave" experiment as I don't get exactly what they've done. Anywho, Linux is fine... it's growing and Ubuntu is pushing it 10 fold. Look at me, I just made the switch!