View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error when installin .deb files O_o

September 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Im trying to install Deluge (latest version), I downloaded latest version from the official deluge website (my Ubuntu version is 8.04), I double click on the .deb file and it starts unpacking and then error occurs - "Wrong i386 architecture".
Same thing when im trying to install Skype.
what is the problem? Am i doing smth wrong? Is smth wrong with my computer?
Thank u in advance.

September 14th, 2008, 10:06 PM
It sounds like you are downloading the package for the wrong processor arch. Also Deluge should be available from the repos

September 14th, 2008, 10:06 PM
are you getting the right file structure for your computer

i386 deb file for an i386 computer

64 bit file for a 64 bit computer?????

September 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
well i dont have any idea what i386 is, but i definetely have a 32bit computer...

btw, i dont know why, but when i try to edit source.list file it says that i dont have the permision..
how's that possible if i'm the only account on the computer?

September 14th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Root owns the file. You have to use:

gksudo gedit /path/to/file.txt
And that will open gedit as root and will allow you to edit the file.

September 14th, 2008, 11:25 PM
You need root permissions for that.

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

And then type the password you entered during the install.

September 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
You have to have root access in order to edit it. Try typing sudo in front of your command. This is done in order to increase security in Linux by restricting the access of the normal user you can't screw your computer up as easily. Read this over if you want some more info https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo or typing man sudo in terminal will give you the man documents

September 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Deluge is in the repositories, but it look like a few versions behind the one on the Deluge website.

If you are downloading from the website you need the one for Hardy, i386 which is this one....

Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) package for i386 systems

That should install if you have a 32 bit install.

September 14th, 2008, 11:29 PM
well i dont have any idea what i386 is, but i definetely have a 32bit computer...

Let's double check that. Applications > Accessories > Terminal

then type or paste in this command:

uname -a

Paste the results in here.

Also paste in the package name in full here.

September 14th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Linux mazafaker-desktop 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

one more question there, i have a folder that only ROOT can delete, how do i do that? I mean what command should i type in to the terminal in order to delete it?=)

Thank u guys for such quick response :P

September 14th, 2008, 11:37 PM
What folder would that be, if root access is needed to delete I can almost assure you that you probably won't want to delete it otherwise use sudo rm (type the usual man rm if you need more help on the command) but be VERY careful when removing anything with root access cause once it's gone it's gone.

September 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
its qutim folder:) i have no clue how it got protected so i cant delete it in an "easy" way =)

what about information that I pasten in here from my terminal?

September 14th, 2008, 11:43 PM
btw, this is what i get when i try to delete this folder:

root@mazafaker-desktop:/home/mazafaker# sudo rm qutim
rm: cannot remove `qutim': Is a directory

September 14th, 2008, 11:48 PM
"By default, rm does not remove directories. Use the --recursive (-r or
-R) option to remove each listed directory, too, along with all of its contents." -man doc :)
I cannot stress this enough to be very careful and make sure you get the exact path because sudo rm has the ability to cause a lot of damage.

September 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM
hey, do u have ICQ or MSN? can we talk there? It would be much faster and effecient :P
u can PM me it=)

PS what does this mean?

root@mazafaker-desktop:/home/mazafaker# uname -a
Linux mazafaker-desktop 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

September 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM
means you have a 64 bit install,

September 15th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Which means you either have to download the 64 bit version from the Deluge site, or type in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install deluge-torrent