PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Upgrade Can't Dual Boot

Macrosystems
September 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
First off, I apologize if this is the wrong section/forum/format.
I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop. I was dual booting Windows XP and Gutsy Gibbon for a while, but decided to upgrade to Hardy Heron this morning. Everything seemed fine until I restarted and grub no long listed XP. I tried changing menu.lst, but when I try and boot XP it loads the stupid ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery software. What to I do? I can still access the files from ubuntu but I cant boot windows.

In case it helps, the laptop is IBM Thinkpad T61p.

Thanks it

sjbaugh
September 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I am not an expert, but it may help to look at the partitions that are actually installed on your machine. You can get Gparted from the repositories or its website (use Google!). Gparted is a graphical utility but you need to start it from a terminal using sudo. If in doubt don't do it and BE VERY CAREFUL and don't change anything unless you know what you are doing as you could completely toast your system!

Steve

Sef
September 15th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Re: Hardy Upgrade Can't Dual Boot
I am not an expert, but it may help to look at the partitions that are actually installed on your machine. You can get Gparted from the repositories or its website (use Google!). Gparted is a graphical utility but you need to start it from a terminal using sudo. If in doubt don't do it and BE VERY CAREFUL and don't change anything unless you know what you are doing as you could completely toast your system!

Steve To look at your partitions do this, which is much safer:

Applications > Accessories > Terminal

paste or type in this code:

sudo fdisk -lsmall L; paste the results here.

Macrosystems
September 15th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Thanks Sef,
I think the problem is that the upgrade removed IBMs rescue and recovery partition. The thinkpad laptops comes with the recovery software on a seperate partition which is no longer there. But I still don't understand why I can't boot XP.

sudo fdisk -l returns:
/dev/sda1 1 26129 209881161 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 * 38156 38913 6085800 12 Compaq diagnostics
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3 26130 37661 92630790 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 37662 38155 3968055 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 37662 38155 3968023+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Thanks

caljohnsmith
September 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
When you are in Ubuntu, try this:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Find your Windows entry in that file, and change it to:

title Windows
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
That should work, but let me know how it goes.

Sef
September 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks Sef,
I think the problem is that the upgrade removed IBMs rescue and recovery partition. The thinkpad laptops comes with the recovery software on a seperate partition which is no longer there. But I still don't understand why I can't boot XP.
I wanted to make sure that you still had XP on your system.

Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.

See if TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) will resolve that problem.