PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] virus question

ExSuSEusr
September 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM
say you have two boxes. one windows and one ubuntu. they're both connected to the same router, but are NOT networked together.

let's say that both computers are on (with active net connections) at the same time and while using the UBUNTU box i go to a site that has a virus. i know that i am safe from getting the virus on the ubuntu box, but is the windows box still at risk?

second question. on the ubuntu box i have a windows partition. if i booted up in ubuntu and visit the same virus infected site is the windows partition at risk?

thanks

tompickles
September 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM
on question 2, unlikely - it would mean that virus would have to run in something linux compatable, and also hunt and find and mount and then write to your ntfs partition.

Mornedhel
September 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
First question is unlikely as well. Assuming your router isn't weirdly configured, anything destined to your Ubuntu box should not be broadcast to the Windows one.

C!oud
September 14th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Here's a great link on Ubuntu security http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

lisati
September 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Extremely unlikley that an infected site you visit via Ubuntu will hurt the Windows portion(s) of your home setup, partly because most malware (vuruses, trojans etc) is aimed at Windows systems (making it unlikely to work with Ubuntu) and partly because of the way *nix systems handle security (chances are you'd have to take deliberate steps to allow malware to do mischief)

ExSuSEusr
September 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
thanks all!

gali98
September 14th, 2008, 09:28 PM
This does not mean that it could not happen though, but it will probably not.
As long as you don't go out there looking for viruses you probably won't have to worry.
Kory