PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 Killed My Computer... Help???

somnabot
September 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM
So I finally decided to upgrade to 8.04, started the upgrade, and went to work. When I came back home, the computer begins to boot into Ubuntu, but then changes to a black screen with the message:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)

I can't even type 'help'. It won't let me. I googled "busybox" and "initramfs", but couldn't find a plausible solution.

Please help, I am using a liveCD at the moment, and want my pretty settings back.

Here are my specs:

Dell Power Edge Server: 4.5 Gig Dual Core Pentium 1Mb Cach, 800mhtz FSB, 4-1Gb DDR2 DIMMS, 4-250Gb Sata in RAID.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 14th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Somnabot,

I suggest you try the 8.04.1 livecd first and see if it works.

If it does, you may want to install a brand new 8.04.1, it's easy enough and may save you some time.

If the livecd does not work, then you may want to stick with gutsy and try intrepid in 1~2 months.

Just my .02$

somnabot
September 14th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Hi Somnabot,

I suggest you try the 8.04.1 livecd first and see if it works.

If it does, you may want to install a brand new 8.04.1, it's easy enough and may save you some time.

If the livecd does not work, then you may want to stick with gutsy and try intrepid in 1~2 months.

Just my .02$

I am running the 8.04 LiveCD. How do I get my original install back?

howefield
September 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
If I get you right, you have installed 8.04 to your hard drive, I don't think you can "rollback" to your previous install.

Using the live cd, you should be able to back up anything you need and reinstall previous version.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Using the live cd, you should be able to back up anything you need and reinstall previous version.

Well, if the livecd is running fine, then there is no need to install the previous ubuntu version and Somnabot can just roll with the current 8.04 release.

So, Somnabot, I think the installer starting from 8.04 releases has the option to overwrite an existing installation while keeping the /home directory. As always though, make a backup to an external usb disk first, in case you make a mistake during the installation.

howefield
September 14th, 2008, 06:12 PM
...then there is no need to install the previous ubuntu version...

Other than the fact that is what somnabot asked.

somnabot
September 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Well, if the livecd is running fine, then there is no need to install the previous ubuntu version and Somnabot can just roll with the current 8.04 release.

So, Somnabot, I think the installer starting from 8.04 releases has the option to overwrite an existing installation while keeping the /home directory. As always though, make a backup to an external usb disk first, in case you make a mistake during the installation.

How do I gain permission to replace my Home directory in the command prompt?

collinp
September 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
How far does it actually get into boot until it stops? Like does it get to where the login should be, or does it not get that far?

somnabot
September 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Got it... Just need to rebuild from backups. Thanks all.

houbysoft.xf.cz
September 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
How do I gain permission to replace my Home directory in the command prompt?
Don't know what you mean exactly by gaining permission to "replace" my home directory, but try with sudo, it should give you any permission you need.

somnabot
September 14th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Don't know what you mean exactly by gaining permission to "replace" my home directory, but try with sudo, it should give you any permission you need.

Got it done with su.

su makes me feel strong.

Pumalite
September 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
sudo su