PDA

View Full Version : F1 fans: Italian GP - best grand prix for many years

samjh
September 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I know we have quite a few F1 fans on here.

How was the GP at Monza?! Brilliant! I mean, a Toro Rosso (or should I say, Minardi) on pole, and then wins the race!
:lolflag:

The sight of an Italian GP being won by a Ferrari customer team with the smallest budget on the grid, is just ironic. As for Red Bull, talk about getting upstaged by their B team! STR has overtaken them in the WCC standings now.

Well done to Sebastian Vettel, a champion in the making. :KS

Poor Bourdais for stalling on the grid. :(

I think the FIA should create a new rule: sprinklers at every GP. :p

Half-Left
September 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Agreed, excellent win and race.

FIA like to make up unwritten rules, notice how everyone was careful this time despite just about every driver saying Lewis had a advantage crossing the cocaine!

Canis familiaris
September 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Hell... Why did I miss the Race...

fiddledd
September 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I think they should start soaking the tracks with water.

Then every race would be more exciting.:)

EDIT: I'm echoing the OP on the water part.:)

fiddledd
September 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hell... Why did I miss the Race...

It's OK, you only missed history being made.

Youngest ever F1 winner.:)

fiddledd
September 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Agreed, excellent win and race.

FIA like to make up unwritten rules, notice how everyone was careful this time despite just about every driver saying Lewis had a advantage crossing the cocaine!

There was cocaine, I must have missed that bit.:)

LMP900
September 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Michael Schumacher won right? I didn't see it, but someone told me that a German driving for an Italian constructor won at Monza. Sounds like Schumacher to me. ;)

On a more serious note, that was an incredible Grand Prix. Belgium (aside from the Hamilton controversy) and Italy have been the best races this season thus far.

fatality_uk
September 14th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I think the FIA should create a new rule: sprinklers at every GP. :p

It was a great race. I relented and watched. I am soo weak :lol:
STR have a fast car. It's 3rd overall this year for speed traps.

Vettel drove a great race. There's a lot of guys who would have folded quickly under the pressure, but he drove away from the field, great job.

But what was Kovalainen doing? Given the difference at the end between LH and SV, HK should have been able to take the win given the car he is in.

clanky
September 14th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Now that would certainly make F1 more interesting!

Half-Left
September 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Yer the FIA was on it at the time, look the telemetry shown that Lewis farted before the corner which gave him a unfair advantage and Riki held his in according to a FIA unwritten rule.

samjh
September 14th, 2008, 06:02 PM
But what was Kovalainen doing? Given the difference at the end between LH and SV, HK should have been able to take the win given the car he is in.

Kovalainen is just not as good as Hamilton, IMHO. He's good, but not outstanding. However, some of Hamilton's overtakes were a bit suspect (pushing Glock into the grass, chopping on Alonso, squeezing Webber across the chicane).

The donkey of the race has to be Kimi Raikkonen though, in the Prancing Donkey, no less. If Massa the spinster can keep his 6th position, Raikkonen should have at least finished in points. Yet again, he went fast on the last laps, but lacked speed in all the other parts of the race.

On to Singapore!

vishzilla
September 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
An exciting race. Great racing by Vettel. The next one, it does get better. The first night race in Singapore. Don't wanna miss that one

Half-Left
September 14th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Ok Lewis is the new Michael schummacher according to some people, maybe everyone else should put a flag on their car saying you may pass if your nice enough. Alonso NEVER did anything like that to anyone did he and Webber dont because thats why he doesn't get anywhere.

solitaire
September 14th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Great race, lewis should watch out in singapore, i'm betting ferrari will have a guy at the switches to turn them off every time he takes a corner... :) lol

fatality_uk
September 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Great race, lewis should watch out in singapore, i'm betting ferrari will have a guy at the switches to turn them off every time he takes a corner... :) lol

:lol: Shhhh don't give them ideas ;)

gn2
September 14th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Kovalainen is just not as good as Hamilton,

or Kubica, or Heidfeld, or Alonso, or Vettel, or Webber.

Can't understand why Kovalainen got a seat at MacLaren.

Nice to see Alonso congratulating Vettel on his historical win.

speedwell68
September 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM
or Kubica, or Heidfeld, or Alonso, or Vettel, or Webber.

Can't understand why Kovalainen got a seat at MacLaren.

Nice to see Alonso congratulating Vettel on his historical win.

Because Alonso quit to go back to Renault, which made Kovy a free agent.

samjh
September 15th, 2008, 01:37 AM
In fairness to Kovalainen, he showed up Fisichella quite good in the latter half of last season. Unfortunately he seems to be going down David Coulthard's path of Close-But-No-Cigar.

Slug71
September 15th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Definitely a good race!! Was actually a pleasure to watch for a change. Hope the Singapore GP is the same.

Chilli Bob
September 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
DAMMITT!!

I got up this morning and went to put the tape in to watch the start of the race over breakfast, and HORROR!!!! It hadn't recorded. I forgot to turn the VCR onto timer!!!! I've missed what sounds like the best race in years.

Hopefully my brother taped it. It's a 300km round trip to borrow the tape, but I think it's worth it.

Well done Vettel. I always had a soft spot for Minardi.

Luffield
September 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
However, some of Hamilton's overtakes were a bit suspect (pushing Glock into the grass, chopping on Alonso, squeezing Webber across the chicane).
Yes, Hamilton's antics are getting old very quickly IMO. He's like Shumacher or Senna, only a bit worse (I think it took them 3-4 seasons until they started doing these things. I could be wrong though).
The worst thing is that the FIA doesn't seem to care. But they did punish him when he overtook Kimi in a completely fair and legal move last week in Spa. What a bunch of idiots...

Anyway, it was a very good race yesterday and congratulations to Vettel for a very impressive drive and a well deserved maiden victory.

SupaSonic
September 15th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Another great race from this 'Rainy Season'. Vettel dominated.

Lewis's moves were within the rules, but where's the sportsmanship? I'm referring to the Glock move here, he might've not seen him, but still, I'm amazed Timo didn't end up in a wall.

LH is as controversial as MS now. His comments on kimi lacking the balls to brake late make some people adore him even more, and some people hate him even more.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him in an underperforming car. Because right now I can't tell if he's that good or is the car/the engineers team that good.

samjh
September 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
DAMMITT!!

I got up this morning and went to put the tape in to watch the start of the race over breakfast, and HORROR!!!! It hadn't recorded. I forgot to turn the VCR onto timer!!!! I've missed what sounds like the best race in years.

Hopefully my brother taped it. It's a 300km round trip to borrow the tape, but I think it's worth it.

Well done Vettel. I always had a soft spot for Minardi.

Well here are the highlights, in text format unfortunately. :)
http://www.formula1news.net/2008-italian-grand-prix-monza-lap-by-lap-highlights/

Yes, Hamilton's antics are getting old very quickly IMO. He's like Shumacher or Senna, only a bit worse (I think it took them 3-4 seasons until they started doing these things. I could be wrong though).
The worst thing is that the FIA doesn't seem to care. But they did punish him when he overtook Kimi in a completely fair and legal move last week in Spa. What a bunch of idiots...I had expected Hamilton to cop a drive-through for what happened with Glock. Glock could have had a massive crash. The excuse that Hamilton didn't see him is nonsense IMHO - Glock was beside him, not behind. It will be fun at their next briefing. :p

Having said that, kudos to Hamilton for some fine damage control. Stuffed it in qualifying, but salvaged some points at least. Raikkonen's effort paled in comparison.

fatality_uk
September 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing him in an underperforming car. Because right now I can't tell if he's that good or is the car/the engineers team that good.

No need to wait, he is that good. GP2 showed he was a racer through and through. In identical cars, he took apart the GP2 field race after race.

His performance at Silverstone showed his great skill as a driver. HK is quick, but LH has smashed him all season.

As for under performing, you think think the McLaren is so far ahead? Early this season, people were once again talking about the dominance of the Ferrari, and Lewis still put in he wins.

The FIA and others will try and prevent him from being this years F1 champ, but they will fail.

To all those talking about LH's driving. This is motorsport. It's competitive. Glock could have easily managed that pass by the faster LH a lot better. Blended out the throttle, got tucked in behind him and them taken a toe.

vishzilla
September 15th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Kimi is not comfortable with his car atleast it seems so. I am a big Kimi fan esp.from his McLaren days. I hope he hasn't lost his motivation, but he has signed on with Ferrari for the next 2 seasons

Luffield
September 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I had expected Hamilton to cop a drive-through for what happened with Glock. Glock could have had a massive crash. The excuse that Hamilton didn't see him is nonsense IMHO - Glock was beside him, not behind.
Right, and I think Hamilton could also hear Glock's car. He seemed just oblivious to the fact that Glock could be there, didn't he?

I agree with those who think he's a great talent. The more I see him drive the more I'm impressed with his skill -- but the less I'm impressed with his personality.

SupaSonic
September 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
No need to wait, he is that good. GP2 showed he was a racer through and through. In identical cars, he took apart the GP2 field race after race.

Bourdais is a 4 time champ car champion. In a row.

It doesn't matter what was there before F1. They wouldn't get here if they weren't good. Question is - how good.

P.S. Looking at the first line of my post, It sounds a lot like a line from 'Clerks'. :)

fatality_uk
September 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Bourdais is a 4 time champ car champion. In a row.

Shame he doesn't know how to operate a clutch :lol: *cheap shot I know ;)

LH has about a 60% win rate at World Championship level. Compare his win rate at World level to Kimi Räikkönen. Blows him away. As with many of the other F1 drivers.

His performance at Silverstone was one of his best. While the prancing horses seemed to have roller skates on their Hooves, his drive was excellent :D

SupaSonic
September 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Shame he doesn't know how to operate a clutch :lol: *cheap shot I know ;)

LH has about a 60% win rate at World Championship level. Compare his win rate at World level to Kimi Räikkönen. Blows him away. As with many of the other F1 drivers.

His performance at Silverstone was one of his best. While the prancing horses seemed to have roller skates on their Hooves, his drive was excellent :D

My point exactly, Ferrari sucks in the wet. As for Kimi, I remember him in Sauber days, not a very competitive team, but still he did good. Couldn't fight for victories obviously.

If Lewis continues down that path, then at some point ends up in a bad car, he might never come back. Look at Villeneuve. Or Hill. It all went downhill (pun intended) for them ever since they won a championship. LH didn't win any yet, but he should seal the deal this year.

In any case, this is pure speculation. I'm looking forward to Singapore. And I would actually be surprised if it doesn't rain there. :)

shifty2
September 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM
My point exactly, Ferrari sucks in the wet. As for Kimi, I remember him in Sauber days, not a very competitive team, but still he did good. Couldn't fight for victories obviously.

If Lewis continues down that path, then at some point ends up in a bad car, he might never come back. Look at Villeneuve. Or Hill. It all went downhill (pun intended) for them ever since they won a championship. LH didn't win any yet, but he should seal the deal this year.

In any case, this is pure speculation. I'm looking forward to Singapore. And I would actually be surprised if it doesn't rain there. :)

Hamilton won't be leaving Maclaren any time soon - they have had their eye on him since he was about ten. I think LH told Ron Dennis - "I will be world champ", or similar - at that age and Ron Dennis was impressed.

I think the forecast is for heavy rain. Darkness and rain, brilliant :)

samjh
September 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hamilton told Ron Dennis during a karting meet: "I want to drive for you one day." So Ron Dennis told him to phone him when he turns 19. Rest is history.

Make no mistake, Hamilton is an amazing driver. He's in a class of his own in wet weather, and still impressive in the dry.

The problem is that he doesn't seem to know how to race clean. Just look at Heidfeld and Massa: they've demonstrated that you can thread your way through a pack with clean passes. A bit of rub is OK when you're going slow, but to push people off track at >250kph like what Hamilton did yesterday is murderous. Wind back the clock 30 years and both he and Glock could be dead.

As an aside: Hamilton's GP2 performance wasn't that great. Piquet gave him a fair run for his money. Where he really shone was in F3 Euroseries. :)

vishzilla
September 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM
whatever! we'll see if LH cam emulate MS. Vettel has a future, once he comes to a better car

fatality_uk
September 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
As an aside: Hamilton's GP2 performance wasn't that great. Piquet gave him a fair run for his money. Piquet did provide a good season. Still wasn't that close, but Piquet is a good driver. Shame he has to put up with Alonso's Primadona'ness :D

Miguel
September 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Piquet did provide a good season. Still wasn't that close, but Piquet is a good driver. Shame he has to put up with Alonso's Primadona'ness :D

I think he doesn't have to deal much with Alonso, seeing that he's always like half a second behind ;)

Back to topic, the Ferrari does seem to be a dog when it's wet, but they do have an edge when it's dry. My prediction is that, if it doesn't rain again (and Fuji lies ahead), Massa will win it. If it rains, Hamilton will win the championship, and will steal the last of Alonso's precocity records. But he's only got this chance.

BTW: Hamilton is an ace. But Kovi is indeed disappointing me this season nearly as much as Kimi.

SupaSonic
September 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Looking at the 10-day forecast for Singapore - it says Scattered thunderstroms every day. Seriously.

Brazil will probably be sunny, China was wet last year, Fuji too.

jrusso2
September 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
As a former race car driver of ten years I can tell you racing in the rain is a whole nother ball game. You lose many of the advantages of the faster cars have on a dry track and not making mistakes is the thing.

The good drivers can find the rain line and there was always drivers we would call the rain meisters. Of course I was not one of them.

fatality_uk
September 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
As a former race car driver of ten years I can tell you racing in the rain is a whole nother ball game. You lose many of the advantages of the faster cars have on a dry track and not making mistakes is the thing.

The good drivers can find the rain line and there was always drivers we would call the rain meisters. Of course I was not one of them.

I was :D But tintop racing doesn't get the girls, glamour or cash of F1

bigb_thedestroyer
September 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I knew that Toro Roso would beat out Red Bull. They have the Ferrari Engines!

Luffield
September 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Here's the Hamilton-Glock incident from Glock's car:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr84NX_mUVg

fatality_uk
September 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Yup, Hamilton moved to the racing line :)