PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on whether or not I should build a computer this week

TheOrangePeanut
September 14th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I am going to build a computer within the next couple of months I think. Mine is over 4 years old and it is starting to show its age. I'm buying everything from Newegg because I've always used them, I trust them, and I like putting money to companies who treat their customers right.

I've been watching for good deals so I can build it as cheap as possible and I think I might have found something. They're offering a combo for the Antec Sonata III and Athlon 64 5400+ Black Edition for a price of only $130.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N82E16819103289&SubCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

The Sonata III is what I was going to buy anyway because the 500w earthwatts is a very good PSU... what I wasn't going to do was buy AMD; I was going to buy an Intel e7200. However, I'm thinking that if I overclock the 5400+ I can easily make it equal out the e7200 or at least come close, right?

Is now the time to buy with this seemingly good combo? Will the 5400+ get me through my needs for the next couple of years? Any advice on which motherboard I should get (what's the best northbridge chipset for AM2+ CPUs now?)

Obviously Linux compatibility is necessary...

zachtib
September 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Nehalem comes out in a month...

:D

VitaLiNux
September 14th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Even though you didn't mention what kind of uses you apply(Multimedia? Virtualization? Best Performance for gaming? Etc)I'd recommend an Intel Processor over an AMD. I've heard that AMD performs better for gaming, but in my experience AMD has poor virtualization support(I tried unsuccessfully to install OpenSolaris and *BSD, but that didn't work at all). Also, if you want to install a Mac partition, an Intel will be your best choice!:) My two cents.