PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Cannot Enable Nvidia Drivers

Mhawkins1
September 14th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I am a Linux n00b. I have finally gotten my resolution correct, but I cannot enable my Nvidia drivers. I go to System | Administration | Hardware Drivers where it shows NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (latest cards): Not in use. I click on the check box to enable it and it tells me a system restart is required. But after the restart the driver is still not enabled. I have done this a few times. I searched Google and couldn't find an answer. Please Help. I'm getting really frustrated.:confused::confused::confused:

cdtech
September 14th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Do you have your Proprietary and Restricted drivers selected in "System > Administrator > Software Sources"?

Mhawkins1
September 14th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Do you have your Proprietary and Restricted drivers selected in "System > Administrator > Software Sources"?

Yes I do. I am still doing some research on my own also. Once I have this fixed I will need to find some help for my PCHDTV PC-5500 tuner card. That is why I'm trying to fix this.

cdtech
September 14th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Did you use "envyng-gtk" to install your drivers?

cyclobs
September 14th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Yes I do. I am still doing some research on my own also. Once I have this fixed I will need to find some help for my PCHDTV PC-5500 tuner card. That is why I'm trying to fix this.

unfortunately i've heard tv tuner cards have very very poor support in linux

Mhawkins1
September 14th, 2008, 06:28 AM
unfortunately i've heard tv tuner cards have very very poor support in linux
This is the only tuner card i could find that is officially supported under Linux

Did you use "envyng-gtk" to install your drivers?
No I did not. I just used the restricted drivers that were available. nvidia-glx-new. They worked before I had to reinstall Ubuntu (I made a mistake and messed things up bad).

Mhawkins1
September 14th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I installed nvidia-settings from the Synaptic Package Manager and it works. Don't know why I had to do this but It works.