PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will Vista running on a VBox virtual machine support an iPod?

pi.boy.travis
September 14th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Would Windows Vista running on a VirtualBox machine be able to access an iPod and my external USB disc that has the music on it at the same time? Would it be recognized as an iPod and sync with iTunes?

I would really like to find a virtual solution for this, as I really don't want M$ on it's own partition. I know that there are ways to add music and pictures and whatnot with Ubuntu, but I really need iTunes.

I don't have an iPod at the moment, but I am considering one. This is key information for making a decision, and I can't test it without one. Anyone ever get this working?

Thanks in advance!

dRock1286
September 14th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I know that you can set up windows whatever (xp or vista) to have a share folder. Once you download the songs or whatever in itunes, drop them in the shared folder to then upload in Ubuntu. This is just what I did with my iriver...

pi.boy.travis
September 14th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I have all the files on my external hdd, but I need iTunes to sync with the iPod directly.

dRock1286
September 14th, 2008, 06:03 AM
why don't you just put them on your ipod?

you should be able to use ubuntu to do that without the aid of itunes

pi.boy.travis
September 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I know I can use gtkpod for songs, but what about videos? Will it do them too?

powel212
May 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Yes you can run vista in vbox but you might like xp better because it suns lighter and faster.

As for mounting the the ipod within xp or vista my solution was simply to give vbox higher permissions by launching it as root. Thus giving it sufficient privileges to mount the ipod.

Powel