PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How do I shorten the delay between grub and desktop? (auto-login lag)

kestal
September 14th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I set up autologin (which is what my goal was), everything was fine until now when booting up I have a plain background void that seems like it takes forever. There is a 5-10 second gap between the dull orange background and it actually booting up into my desktop. Also, my usplash

What happens:
- Post Screen
- Grub Boot Menu
- Usplash (Problem here too - takes longer than it used to, but finishes then boots into the next part).
- Dull Orange/Peach Background (800x600?) - Default Mouse (2-3 seconds)
- Dull Orange/Peach Background (Changed to My Specs) - Default Mouse (2-3 seconds)
- Dull Orange/Peach Background (My Specs) - My Mouse theme (1-2 Seconds)
- Boot into Desktop.

Is there anything I can do to shorten/hasten the time from Grub Menu bootup to Desktop? (I know, im picky, but still. I am on a pretty powerful machine... so I want to fine-tune everything I can).

Does anyone else have this problem? I'd ask to switch it to 'black' over the original human background color, but that might make it worse. :P

kestal
September 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Anyone?

Or am I pretty much subjected to making the background black and trying to ignore the 10 second void?

Is this unavoidable?

k33bz
September 14th, 2008, 10:26 PM
to my knowledge, I dont think this can be done.....

I could be wrong

kestal
September 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. What happens during that stage? I know its a bit more than just changing screen resolutions. Is there any way that I can automatically set the first screen res to mine so the transition is easier or something?

I take it then that everyone experiences this?

k33bz
September 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Ya, it happens to my laptop, my ex's computer, my dekstop, as well as my mothers dekstop.

Not sure what it is doing at that time, but I do know you can change the color, so you are not looking at black for a few seconds.

but please forgive me, I dont remember where that setting is at.

Oldsoldier2003
September 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
you shorten boot time by removing unnecessary services and ensuring you don't have daemons that error out, slowing the boot process.