PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on MSI Wind

tron^qld
September 14th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have looked in the search and can't find it.

I am getting an MSI Wind this week (hopefully tomorrow or Tues) and I am going to be looking at getting rid of the XP home that is on it and load Ubuntu on it (or some variety) and I have come across the Ubuntu Remix.

Has anyone loaded this on and is willing to give a run down on its pros and cons, also, I was reading the brief on it from Canonical and it states that it needs a bit of coding to be done with it, now I am not shy at running code, but how much is it going to take to get it running, is it just a cut down version of Ubuntu Vanilla but for the screen res of 1028x600 I don't want it to be a dumbed down version either, like the Aspire One linspire verion with the big icons and nothing else...

Also what is wireless like with the remix version is it as easy as what Hardy is?

Should I just run Hardy or should I go with the remix verison?

Any thoughts or ideas or should I stear clear of Ubuntu on the netbook at the moment.

BTW I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on my desktop now, so I am not 'new' to Ubuntu or linux and slowly getting my head around it.

No I am not going to run a poll either, I think they are a waste of time and comments are more fruitful...

Thanks for your help in advance.

kstella
September 19th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Hello! I just bought my MSI Wind and am going to try to get Ubuntu on it, too. Maybe we can document the experience as we go.

I'm watching this thread, too: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5815968

victor9098
September 19th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Get over to the MSI Wind Wiki/Forums for everything you need to know!

For a complete guide for installing 8.04.1 on the MSI Wind just CLICK HERE (http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04_Hardy_Heron).

I use the Advent 4211 with just Hardy installed, will need a few tweaks but works and looks great! Enjoy!

tron^qld
September 20th, 2008, 06:10 AM
hey there victor9098, thanks for that, I have been able to get ubuntu installed from the usb memory stick, and all seems to be going well, about to load ubuntu remix on now, see how that goes.

One thing that I have noticed though is that the battery life decreases using ubuntu, compared to using XP.

Other than that, it was a breeze to install, and rather easy to install the wireless drivers with the wiki that you forwarded me to.

victor9098
September 20th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Netbook remix? You are braver then me :lolflag:

Glad to be of help, I plan to upgrade to netbook remix at some stage but the college year is just starting back up so I need to keep things predictable for the next few months.

I agree about the battery life. I get sub 2 hour times. I imagine using a USB modem for the internet does not help. There is a 9-cell battery due from lion next month which I will be ordering, in theory it should give 5-7 hours.

Will keep my blog updated with any issues and fixes

njigsaw
November 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
Victor,

You say that you are running advent with hardy and required a bit of tweaking.
Can you be a bit more specific? Just purchased the advent and want to put hardy onto it too.

What are the short falls you can see if any of running the full hardy on the netbook?

Cheers
Neal

njigsaw
November 6th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I'll reply to my own query then having had some time to play. 8.10 loaded as dual boot on a Advent 4211. Wireless wouldnt work initially despite the toggle on/ off. Found throough a forum thread somewhere advice on how to get latest drivers installed and the whole thing appears to work fine.
8.04 wouldn't install from a usb cd driver hence trying 8.1 that installed fine.

Wireless works with all encryption types.

Using wicd not network manager.