PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost All Drivers

kemadruma
September 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Query 1:
I have lost Sound and Wifi driver, when i clicked "software update click to restart the system" system tray icon.

Query 2:
Does ubuntu automatically updates itself if we are connected to internet?

Query 3:
In start menu, Now i get a Big "Other" Menu with more than 50 items, which are installed automatically.
Reason?

Query 4:
Now wat to do?

kemadruma
September 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM
with kernel 2.24.19 drivers doesnt load but when i select kernel 2.24.26, all drivers gets loaded, wats the prob, reply..

lisati
September 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Query 1:
I have lost Sound and Wifi driver, when i clicked "software update click to restart the system" system tray icon.

Query 2:
Does ubuntu automatically updates itself if we are connected to internet?

Query 3:
In start menu, Now i get a Big "Other" Menu with more than 50 items, which are installed automatically.
Reason?

Query 4:
Now wat to do?

1. There might be some subtle change after the updates so that what previously worked won't work any more. You might have to do a bit of research on your particular sound system - feel free to ask questions here.
2. Ubuntu is usually aware of updates, but doesn't normally install them without your permission. On my Ubuntu machine, it shows a notification icon on the top panel, which I then click to choose which updates to install.
3. ?
4. Keep on smiling, and feel free to ask questions. It might be useful (and easier) to tackle one thing at a time.

kemadruma
September 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM
3. ?

In start menu, there r 7-8 menus like, office, internet, games etc,

Now there is "other" menu having more than 50 applications like network, sound setting, notepad etc,

How they got installed( may be due to automatic update)??

cariboo
September 25th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Those applications in Other were always installed, you must have changed a configuration file somewhere to get them to show. I had that problem during the hardy alpha's, but haven't seen them since. If you don't want to see the Other menu, right-click on Applications, then click Edit Menus. In the window that comes up make sure you remove the check mark beside other. The Other menu will now not show up.

Jim

kemadruma
September 27th, 2008, 01:24 AM
thanks for ur reply, i have 1 more query,
i m not able to connect to wifi adhoc using wicd, it works fine with static ip but when i choose obtain it automatically, i m not able to connect to it??

carofiro
September 29th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I have the same driver issue, I installed updates and now my wireless card and sound card are not configured. How do I fix this? I don't understand what the previous replies mean. Nevermind I hadn't had all updates installed... weird.