PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy an Ubuntu laptop?

S3loth
September 13th, 2008, 10:44 PM
How are Dell with their Ubuntu systems? Are there better places? I am looking for one that's not too expensive, like $700-ish. I'm going to use it for general use, browsing the internet, some homework, maybe a little GIMP-editing. Any suggestions are welcome. :)

damis648
September 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Try either Dell or System76 (system76.com)

liquidfunk
September 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'd second Dell. Sadly in the UK they don't have as much choice as they do in the USA.

Sef
September 13th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Try either Dell (www.dell.com/ubuntu) or System76 (http://system76.com)(system76.com)

Besides those two, people have mentioned za reason computers (www.zareason.com), and emperor linux (www.emperorlinux.com).

S3loth
September 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Okay, I'm looking at Dell and they seem to have good laptops, however I noticed this:
Ubuntu (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_15?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~linux_5~~)
Windows (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_15?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop_studio_15_anav3~~)
both starting at $699. The only difference in them that I can find is this:
the Ubuntu has 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 while the Windows has 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 and 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. Don't know much about hardware but it seems like Ubuntu, the OS that they get for free, for the same price is worse. Any thoughts on this?

kevin11951
September 14th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Okay, I'm looking at Dell and they seem to have good laptops, however I noticed this:
Ubuntu (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_15?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~linux_5~~)
Windows (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_15?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~laptop_studio_15_anav3~~)
both starting at $699. The only difference in them that I can find is this:
the Ubuntu has 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 while the Windows has 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 and 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. Don't know much about hardware but it seems like Ubuntu, the OS that they get for free, for the same price is worse. Any thoughts on this?

this has been a big topic EVERYWHERE, please dont turn this tread into another "dell ubuntu vs windows prices" thread...

Sef
September 14th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I read that one reason Dell Ubuntu computers are more expensive is that those computers don't get paid by other companies to put their software on the computer. That other software is known as crapware.

S3loth
September 14th, 2008, 01:10 AM
lol, okay.

mike1234
September 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I read that one reason Dell Ubuntu computers are more expensive is that those computers don't get paid by other companies to put their software on the computer. That other software is known as crapware.

I also believe someone told me Dell charges a fee for codecs, etc. To comply with (whoever). I would spend a few minutes toll free and talk to a Dell rep. Couldn't hurt. I'm glad Dell offers Linux. I doubt if Mike would have gotten away with it in the early 90's. MS would have "banished" them.

M.

Faolan84
September 14th, 2008, 01:23 AM

In other words you are paying extra not to be annoyed. Heh, It never bothered me because the first thing I did when I bought my Dell from w*lm*rt was pop in an Ubuntu disk. I never saw any of the crapware or Vista for that matter. It was good.

chucky chuckaluck
September 14th, 2008, 01:37 AM
my system76 is still awesome, except it's now an arch laptop.

vandorjw
September 14th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Why not just buy any laptop, no matter what is on it.
and put Ubuntu on it yourself.

I bought Dell Inspiron 1520 with Vista + MS Office 2007 (Mistake)
for university. Its a very good machine, and Ubuntu runs perfectly on it.

The only problem is the Nvidia Graphics card. 8600GT has heating issues, although, mine still works, but its heavily under-clocked.

Cheers - CC7

mike1234
September 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
In other words you are paying extra not to be annoyed. Heh, It never bothered me because the first thing I did when I bought my Dell from w*lm*rt was pop in an Ubuntu disk. I never saw any of the crapware or Vista for that matter. It was good.

Did it come with OEM or a full version?

M.

S3loth
September 14th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Why not just buy any laptop, no matter what is on it.
and put Ubuntu on it yourself.

I bought Dell Inspiron 1520 with Vista + MS Office 2007 (Mistake)
for university. Its a very good machine, and Ubuntu runs perfectly on it.

The only problem is the Nvidia Graphics card. 8600GT has heating issues, although, mine still works, but its heavily under-clocked.

Cheers - CC7

Yes, I think I will do this, as its almost the same price and you get more options.

Faolan84
September 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Did it come with OEM or a full version?

M.

I don't know. I didn't even boot it up to see. I just popped in an Ubuntu install disk and let it have it's way. I heard Vista takes hours to set itself up on first boot and I was like "hell no" after my experience with vista on my previous laptop which was an HP that came with it. That took 2 1/2 hours to do a first boot setup. I wasn't going to wait for my new Dell because I needed to "git-r-done".

mike1234
September 14th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I don't know. I didn't even boot it up to see. I just popped in an Ubuntu install disk and let it have it's way. I heard Vista takes hours to set itself up on first boot and I was like "hell no" after my experience with vista on my previous laptop which was an HP that came with it. That took 2 1/2 hours to do a first boot setup. I wasn't going to wait for my new Dell because I needed to "git-r-done".

I was just curious as to what disk they bundle it with. Or if it includes a disk at all. Last time I bought a computer with an OS was 1994.

M.

S3loth
September 14th, 2008, 04:52 AM
How does this sound?
Dell Studio 17
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3650
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
High Definition Audio 2.0
Dell 1397 Wireless-G Card
56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
Integrated Finger Print Reader
$1,294.00
Things that I need more of? Maybe tone down something?

aysiu
September 14th, 2008, 05:04 AM
How does this sound?
Dell Studio 17
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3650
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
High Definition Audio 2.0
Dell 1397 Wireless-G Card
56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
Integrated Finger Print Reader
$1,294.00
Things that I need more of? Maybe tone down something?
You can get 20% off a Dell Studio 17 with a coupon from here:
http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp

It works for the Ubuntu laptops, too.

S3loth
September 14th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Awesome, thanks!

Faolan84
September 14th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Whatever you do, don't go with HP. My last HP laptop lasted a year and the place I got it from didn't honour their extended service warranty, nor did HP. On the other I've had a Dell that I haven't had any problems with.

HermanAB
September 14th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Dell uses 'Value Pricing'. An Ubuntu machine works better and has a better user experience. Therefore it makes sense to sell it at a higher price than Windows since it really is worth more.

mike1234
September 14th, 2008, 06:12 AM
This is nice too.

http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16140&cat=0&page=1

M.

steveneddy
September 28th, 2008, 11:50 PM
my system76 is still awesome, except it's now an arch laptop.

I still dig my system 76 laptop.