PDA

View Full Version : SVN client for Linux?

Faerine
November 18th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I need to connect to a Subversion repository for my work. I use Netbeans, where I was not able to install proper SVN support (it doesn't find the SVN commanands, and anyway I need CVS to checkout Netbeans source etc., so maybe SVN in Netbeans is not the best idea).

Under windows at work I use a program called TortoiseSVN, which unfortunately is windows only. What it does is add SVN menus to windows explorer right click, so I don't think it would run with Wine and Nautilus or Konqueror. Do you guys know of any good SVN client program for Linux? I tried SmartSVN, but it is closed source and the version I need is paid, and I didn't switch to Linux to use such programs. However, I wouldn't want to be stuck using SVN from the command line either. :)

bignate
November 18th, 2005, 11:15 PM
apt-cache search svn turns up at least one gui svn program...rapidsvn, no idea how good it is.

DJ_Max
November 18th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Netbeans probably can't find SVN commands because you need to install SVN first.

Faerine
November 19th, 2005, 02:16 AM
I installed the Netbeans SVN plugin, and according to the instructions no separate SVN installation was needed. I only need an SVN client, the server is somewhere else. Anyway, I prefer Netbeans to stay with CVS, since it cannot use both simultaneously, and I don't want to switch all the time.

I will try RapidSVN and see what happens. :)

mgor
November 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM
sudo apt-get install subversion
...and you'll get the client. RapidSVN probably depends on subversion.

amerigo5
November 19th, 2005, 10:42 PM
You can try SmartSVN: http://www.smartcvs.com/smartsvn/

majikstreet
November 19th, 2005, 11:18 PM
You can try SmartSVN: http://www.smartcvs.com/smartsvn/
"I tried SmartSVN, but it is closed source and the version I need is paid, and I didn't switch to Linux to use such programs."

floam
November 20th, 2005, 02:08 AM
What in the heck is wrong with the console svn client?

jlist
November 26th, 2005, 05:12 AM
rapidsvn 9 has been out for a while. Who will be putting it in to the repository? When?