PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Synaptic shell script to install packages - How do I use it?

charonred
September 13th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Just need some advice of how to generate a shell script in Synaptic of all the 'Installed' packages in my system.

I build new PCs part-time as a hobby/business, and a script to install the packages I have on my system would make it dead easy for setting up other PCs that I build for friends/family (I've talked a few into dual booting with 'Hardy').

In Synaptic Package Manager, under 'Status', I've chose the option to list all 'installed' on my system and then select 'Generate Package Download Script', but all I get is a 10 byte file with this inside

#!/bin/sh

icheyne
September 13th, 2008, 10:30 PM
dpkg --get-selections > pkg.list

charonred
September 14th, 2008, 05:00 AM
thanks icheyne,
that created a list of my installed software, but how do I get Synaptic to auto download and install what's in the list?

icheyne
September 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
It's easy using aptitude or apt-get from the command line. Try this:

sudo aptitude install package1 package2 package3

One long command will install all the apps you want.

zvacet
September 14th, 2008, 08:45 PM
If you want to do it with the script

dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

put text file in another comp and run

dpkg --set-selections < installed-software
dselect

If you didnīt run apt-get clean or apt-get autoclean you can use aptoncd. (http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/)Install it from synaptic.

charonred
September 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM
thanks again

icheyne;
does that mean I have to number each package as
sudo aptitude install package1 package2 package3 all the way up to package1644 ?

zvacet;
I'm relatively new to Ubuntu and am not that experienced at running these linux command line stuff; so how/where do I use the command lines with the 'pkg.list' - sorry, but I need some 'Ubuntu for Dummies' type instructions to get going

icheyne
September 14th, 2008, 11:31 PM
No numbers, just the regular package name.

You definitely need to do some reading if you want to try advanced stuff like this.

I read Introduction to Linux (http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html) when I started and it saved me a lot of effort.

PDF and portable versions are available too - http://tldp.org/guides.html.

charonred
September 15th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I've been so impressed with the standard install and functionality of 'Hardy', that I bought a copy of 'Ubuntu Unleashed', but I haven't got near reading any of it yet - just time limited with too many other things on the boil.

At the moment I'm simply trying to get 'Hardy' tweaked and tuned for full-time use instead of *******; once that's done, then I can study up on Linux more in some of my 'free time' - for the moment, any 'show me' type instructions stuff is really appreciated (I've downloaded .pdf versions of docs from tlpd.org, thanks).

I'm also trying to get friends out of their discomfort zone with XP and into Ubuntu, so running some sort of script to install all the tweaks on each PC just makes life a bit easier. All the PCs I've built for them are AMD & Gigabyte based with most using ATI graphics, so installing all the same packages I have should work well for most of them - and then they can start posting 'help me' on Ubuntu forums as well ;)

zvacet
September 15th, 2008, 02:48 AM
@ charonred

When you run in terminal

dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

you will find tex file in your home directory named installed-software.You can put it in other comp in several ways(burn it on CD,stick) or simply post it to yourself or to your friend by e-mail(I believe that you have some gmail,yahoo... account).When text file is in second comp again in terminal

dpkg --set-selections < installed-software
dselect

You can also check link I posted to you which explains how aptoncd works.That can be solution too.If you still have any questions just ask.Good luck!

arunncce2089
April 2nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Hi

What i am trying to do is take the list of all installed packages from one machine 'A' and install same packages to other machine 'B' and in addition to that i want to uninstall all those packages from machine B which are not in machine 'A'.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks

Arun Mittal

arunncce2089
April 2nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
Please dont worry about the previous reply.
I figured out the solution

mordak13
April 24th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I opened Synaptic and under File, then Read Markings and then select the pkg.list file and it's working on my 3rd Ubuntu machine so far so good.