PDA

View Full Version : what took me so long.

PDXlewis
November 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Holy cow,

Just saying hi!

I still support folks in a MS environment so I will have to live with it for some time but I am making every attempt to change my personal systems off ******* to linux. I am so tired of reloading for spyware and virus attacks. With linux I can be a little cautious but I can enjoy myself now.

Been trying all types of distros and ubuntu is a great gateway drug so far. Odd thing. I am having problems logging on to this forum in foxfire on ubuntu. We'll see, probably user error.

I work with schools a lot and am blown away by the stability and functionality of Edubuntu. Gonna try a whole lab with it.

What are the pros and cons of Gnome vs. KDE really. I like both so far but not sure if I am missing something with one over the other.

Well thanks for letting me spout out.
:)

Brunellus
November 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM
welcome.

You should have no problem viewing these forums in firefox; are you seeing any unusual errors?

Gnome v. KDE (or anything else in *nix) is a matter of personal preference. I recommend you play with Kubuntu and Ubuntu live cds, and decide which you would rather have. GNOME is Ubuntu's default, and the only "officially" supported desktop environment for Ubuntu; KDE and Kubuntu are community-supported and some users have reported stability issues there from time to time. In my experience, KDE is extremely well-integrated, while GNOME is fairly easy to modularize. You also owe it to yourself to try XFCE, which is brilliant for older systems, as it consumes much less RAM.

For the record, I use GNOME, but replace its default windowmanager, metacity, with openbox, again to save RAM. For sessions when I know I'll be doing very RAM-intensive work, I use Fluxbox. Linux gives you all kinds of choices...which is both refreshing and overwhelming if you're moving from Windows which...doesn't.

PDXlewis
November 18th, 2005, 06:45 PM
[You should have no problem viewing these forums in firefox; are you seeing any unusual errors?]

Thanks for the info. Must have been user error. seems fine today.

[You also owe it to yourself to try XFCE, which is brilliant for older systems, as it consumes much less RAM.]

This is what I am talking about. Great help on this forum.

There is a thread on this section that asks,
"If you have Windows XP, why do you use linux?"

I think he has it backwards, "Once you have linux, why would you want to punch yourself in the head?"

Thanks again.

lotusleaf
November 18th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Just saying hi!

Just saying hi back! :) Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums. :)