PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which version??

foolman89
September 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I have a computer with a Amd 64 Athlon x2 cpu. I wanted to know which version of Ubuntu i should install the one with the AMD 64 architecture or the regular standard one?

N00b-un-2
September 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
the AMD chipset is a completely different architecture than the x86 family of chips by intel. If you tried to install the x86 version on your AMD system, I'm guessing that you wouldn't even be able to install it.
If you have a system with an AMD chipset, then install the AMD version.

oilchangeguy
September 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I have a computer with a Amd 64 Athlon x2 cpu. I wanted to know which version of Ubuntu i should install the one with the AMD 64 architecture or the regular standard one?

there have been problems noted here in the forum from users with the 64 bit version. you can try it, however i'd suggest the 32 bit version. simply burn cd's of both and try 'em.

Starks
September 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
the AMD chipset is a completely different architecture than the x86 family of chips by intel. If you tried to install the x86 version on your AMD system, I'm guessing that you wouldn't even be able to install it.
If you have a system with an AMD chipset, then install the AMD version.

Please research before you respond next time. You are wholly incorrect.

Bucky Ball
September 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM
If you tried to install the x86 version on your AMD system, I'm guessing that you wouldn't even be able to install it.

Wrong. The i386 version of Ubuntu will run on either Intel or AMD. You will notice that there is no 'AMD version for 32bit' nor is there anything but AMD64 version, which runs on any 64bit. Confusing, I know, but that is how it is. This might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_64

I recommend, if you have 64bit, run it as you have the grunt. I have been using it without any problems (related to that issue!) for about a year.

foolman89
September 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
there have been problems noted here in the forum from users with the 64 bit version. you can try it, however i'd suggest the 32 bit version. simply burn cd's of both and try 'em.
Okay well tried both of them and running as a live cd. And their always seems to be a problem at the login screen. For the AMD 64 in logins but than the screen turns black, and just brings back to the login screen again. For the regular live cd, it mangaes to get to the desktop, but when i either click on a icon or right click on my mouse the screen turns black and brings me back to the login screen. Any ideas?

Kevbert
September 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Have you performed an ISO hash check (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) on the downloaded files ? Also you need to burn the CDs at the slowest speed possible to minimize errors. Next run the CD check from the CD menu that appears when you boot the CD. Finally run memtest (from CD menu). Both versions of Ubuntu should work fine (you are using Hardy 8.04.1 and not Intrepid 8.10 as it is Alpha build?) You should go for the 64 bit version as it makes the best use of your processors and memory.

Bucky Ball
September 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Set your screen to 'single colour'. See if that helps.