PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The thing I find most frustrating with "Upgrades"

mettlewk
September 13th, 2008, 05:14 PM
The Slash and burn attitude that comes with each issue.

It may be true that some software packages are no longer supported (being improved) that does not mean they did not work.
Sure they may have had warts but maybe they were doing what was wanted.

I used to have a nice 3D illustration and visualization tool in Blender.

then suddenly it was gone, and I had to do all that work on my PC copy. (thanks for asking if I wanted to keep my copy, hah!)

Then I was using NVU as a cross platform web editor.
OOOPs We just deleted it because we )*&%()O&^*_( felt like it.

Sorry guys, YOUR OS rocks, your sensitivity to people's investment in learning programs, and archives of orphaned file types left stranded when you steal the tools with the keys, SUCKS big time.

Gene Olson,

coffeecat
September 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Well, well. Assuming that you're using Hardy Heron, had you bothered to check in Synaptic before venting your spleen, you would have found that Blender (2.45) is available for download, and a search for NVU gives:

Transition package for Nvu --> KompoZer fork

Package to ensure a clean upgrade path from the old nvu package to the new
kompozer package for Nvu users on previous releases, as the Nvu project is no
longer active nor maintained and development is now taking place in the
KompoZer fork of the code instead.

This can safely be removed once the kompozer package is installed.Sensitivity to people, indeed. Hmmm.

mettlewk
September 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Ok, thanks for pointing out resources.

I am able to be here on this forum because I used to know something about computers, and I have some idea of where to look. Heck I even know a few command line codes, but I am just a newbie linux user.

I have had Mac's I have had PCs. I still use a couple very old programs for specific tasks, they are old and familiar. They are sharp teeth that slice right to the center of the task.
I don't lose the old programs from MY computer when I upgrade the OS on windows or a mac.

I would guess that the little "loss of program packages" item will come as a complete surprise to most all new users and probably they won't find it a very nice one.

I am not capable of helping with code.
I can only suggest that you consider, adding something to your upgrade proceedure.

In addition to keeping a user's email and general file structure. check to see which programs are being used and if you are not upgrading them just don't delete them without asking first.

Thanks.

coffeecat
September 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I can only suggest that you consider....

Who are you trying to talk to? Almost all of the members of this forum are ordinary users like you or me. You're addressing the wrong people.

bve
September 14th, 2008, 06:45 AM
if you are not upgrading them just don't delete them without asking first.

I just did my 3rd upgrade from Gusty to Hardy today and for the 3rd time upgrading to Hardy from Gusty I approved the removal of the packages when it asked me.

mettlewk
October 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
that is blanket approval, it not only updates supported programs, it deletes ALL currently unsupported software.
you can't say leave this ONE.