PDA

View Full Version : 10 reasons not to use Linux - Ever

ronnielsen1
September 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
1) If you expect everything you use to work, look, perform and perhaps even smell to be EXACTLY like Windows or Apple, or whatever it is that you have only ever used for the majority of your life of using computers, Don't try Linux.
2) If the ideas of actually following a set of directions or using a thing called Google to learn more about what you want to do is mind-numbingly terrifying, don't Try Linux.
3) If you are the type of person who calls customer support for everything and when they ask you to follow steps they tell you to do, you answer by asking them if they can just take remote control of your computer and do it for you, Don't try Linux.
4) If you are the type of person who thought having to download anything is too much work, Don't try Linux.
5) If you get your feelings hurt because no one answers your questions within 30 seconds of you asking them, or you think that by using a free version of anything entitles you to being treated like royalty, Don't try Linux.
6) If you have the attention span of a three year old, or the lack the ability to focus, Don't try Linux.
7) If you are the type who goes to McDonalds and are offered a free sample of a new item means you have the right to tell them how to redecorate the restaurant, Don't try Linux.
8 ) For that matter, if you are the type who is stupid enough to order hot coffee at McDonalds then try to mix it while you drive and are actually surprised when it spills all over you and it actually IS hot, Don't try Linux.
9) If your 4 year old child successfully signed up for a GMail account before you could figure out how to do it, Don't try Linux.
10) If you have no sense of humor and are totally devoid of personality Don't try Linux.

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/30354

Sealbhach
September 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Sounds about right.

Because of the money motive, vendors of proprietary software have to pander to these sort of attitudes. Whereas, Linux users tend to reply with "Linux may not be for you".

Shippou
September 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Well, all of them are true.

Linux is not for the faint-hearted.. Personally, I was frustrated at my very first encounter with Linux.

Maybe this is due to the fact that M$ has already soaked the market with its "superior" (and most of the times infringed other's copyrights) software.

chucky chuckaluck
September 13th, 2008, 03:06 PM
i have the attention span of a three year old and i use linux. i also don't like the fact that instructions for usage of software are missing in a lot of cases. linux gets better because of people's frustrations with it, not because they're thrilled with how it is.

BenAshton24
September 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
LMAo, brilliant list :P
:lolflag:

hanzomon4
September 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/envyouraudience/picard.jpg

God forbid somebody wants something that just works or complains when something is broken....

karellen
September 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
too radical, black vs white, knowledge vs ignorance. it implies that everyone who doesn't use Linux is stupid, childish, with the attention span of a 3 years old and so. which is obviously not true

fiddledd
September 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Interesting list, kind of rules out the average grandmother though.

And probably most of the average computer users out there, which I thought Linux wanted to attract.

I wonder what happened to "It just works". I'm sure I remember reading that somewhere.

Twitch6000
September 13th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Uhmm number 1 is false >.>
Since Mac Os X has switched back to unix based Linux can be EXACTLY like it :p.Well ok not quite since Linux is only unix like <.<.

Still though your list is childish and flawed :/.

Half-Left
September 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Something that "just works" eh?, well tell that to the tech support people who do it everyday, I was ONE of them and Windows DOESN'T "Just work"

karellen
September 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
it's always risky to draw lines so easily, especially when it comes to persons. Linux users vs Windows users, I believe that the OS someone's using tells nothing about that person, except some minor and personal preferences

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Pretty Good Reasons. But there would be many more much more sane reasons not to use Linux as well.

ChanServ
September 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM
sounds about right for most distros I would say, probaly not ubuntu though

fiddledd
September 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Something that "just works" eh?, well tell that to the tech support people who do it everyday, I was ONE of them and Windows DOESN'T "Just work"

"It just works" was not my phrase.

http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2004/12/ubuntu-it-just-works.html

EDIT: sorry Half-Left, I've just realised you wasn't responding to my post.:)

jrusso2
September 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Yup sounds like the average computer user and Linux is still not ready for the average computer user.

Half-Left
September 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Yer well it's usually some random person on a blog(see above) who's hardware may not work or work, but that dont make it a fact.

The fact is Linux supports more hardware out the box than any other OS, considering most of not all hardware has a "Supports Windows" sticker on it.

Not ready for the average user says who?, in the end it's their opinion and like I said Windows users need alot of help making it work for them as well.

fiddledd
September 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Yer well it's usually some random person on a blog(see above) who's hardware may not work or work, but that dont make it a fact.

The fact is Linux supports more hardware out the box than any other OS, considering most of not all hardware has a "Suports Windows" sticker on it.

Actually that's a very old blog, not relevant to today.

I just posted it to illustrate "It just works" wasn't my phrase.

So please ignore everything in the link I posted, except for the aforementioned phrase.

ehamman
September 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
A varsity friend got this T-shirt with the following quote:
Linux is not user friendly, it's just picky about it's friends.

aysiu
September 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I agree with the main points, but I object to the phrasing.

The points really refer to downloading, burning, installing, and configuring Linux on a previously Windows- or Mac-loaded computer.

I bought an Eee PC with Xandros-preloaded, and it doesn't require you to do any of those things, in order to user Linux... except maybe #1.

Half-Left
September 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
A varsity friend got this T-shirt with the following quote:
Linux is not user friendly, it's just picky about it's friends.

Exactly, if a friend only tells you his or she name and thats it, whats the use of being a friend?

fiddledd
September 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
You've double posted aysiu.

No wonder your post count is so high.:)

EDIT: And by the time I clicked submit, you've deleted it.

AusIV4
September 13th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I have to disagree with a few points.

First, my three year old sister had sufficient attention to grab windows with the mouse and watch them wobble around the screen, or draw fire when I enabled the appropriate compiz plugin. So number 6 is out.

I installed Ubuntu on my mom's laptop, and when she'd have problems, I'd SSH into the system from school and fix whatever the problem was. On Windows she'd just have to wait until I got home from college to fix the problem. So number 3 is out.

This leads in to number 9 - I think Ubuntu is great for the least computer literate. Obviously someone will have to pre-install the OS for them, but once that's done they have their Office Suite (OOo), their web browser (Firefox), their photo manager (FSpot), their music player (Rythmbox), their video player (Totem), an instant messenger (Pidgin), and the list goes on. They won't need to buy and install software on their own. They won't need to install and keep an anti-virus or firewall up to date. Someone who can't sign up for GMail is going to be able to do quite a bit more on Ubuntu than they will on Windows.

The rest I agree with, just adding my 2 cents.

johntc23
September 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I would like to add that if your idea of intellectual and emotional fulfillment involve sitting in front of a television set you will not be happy with Linux - Ever
These forums have guided me through building a box from parts installing Ubuntu 8.04 and having it do everything required. Great Fun Thanks Everyone

aysiu
September 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
when I enabled the appropriate compiz plugin.

I installed Ubuntu on my mom's laptop
Obviously someone will have to pre-install the OS for them My point exactly.

tuebinger
September 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Revised for reasonableness:

1)If you expect everything you use to work, look, and perform similar to Windows or Apple (so you can be in step with the rest of the world), Don't try Linux.
2) If the idea of following a set of directions or using Google to learn more about what you want to do seems like a lot of effort when you just want to get the job done, don't Try Linux.
3) If you are the type of person who wants to call customer support exactly because you don't want to waste your time spelunking around the Internet searching for answers, Don't try Linux.
4)If you are the type of person who wants to have professional grade software that works without the glitches and frustration inherent in downloading poorly documented and often poorly coded open-source appliations, Don't try Linux.
5) If you'd rather spend your time working than hanging around Internet forums waiting for answers to your questions, Don't try Linux.
6)If you'd rather focus your attention on your work, rather than spend your Saturday studying up on how to compile this or that software, Don't try Linux.
7) If you are the type who goes to McDonalds and are offered a free sample and it looks and tastes like crap and you feel you have a right to tell the company that their product sucks, Don't try Linux.
8 -- For that matter, if you are the type who is stupid enough to order hot coffee at McDonalds then try to mix it while you drive and are actually surprised when it spills all over you and it actually IS hot, Don't try Linux. Don't try Windows or Mac, either. You're obviously a moron.
9) If your 4 year old child successfully signed up for a GMail account, great! You've got a pretty smart toddler!
10) If you have no sense of humor and are totally devoid of personality, don't attempt to employ irony in the form of a Top 10 List of Reasons Not to Use Linux.

clanky
September 13th, 2008, 07:37 PM
The proof that that list is nonsense is in the fact that it doesn't describe the 99% of computer users who choose not to use Linux. It really gets on my nerves how some people think that if someone thinks windows is better at doing some things than Linux then they must be either stupid, lazy, or being paid by Microsoft to say it.

The fact is that there are perfectly valid reasons why for some people installing Linux on a PC which is pre-configured for Windows (which is how the vast majority of people start to use Linux) is never going to be the best option.

karellen
September 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
The proof that that list is nonsense is in the fact that it doesn't describe the 99% of computer users who choose not to use Linux. It really gets on my nerves how some people think that if someone thinks windows is better at doing some things than Linux then they must be either stupid, lazy, or being paid by Microsoft to say it.

for some Linux users, it's a rather simple dichotomy: if you use Linux, you're cool and open minded. if you don't (or don't want to) you're stupid, brainwashed and bestowed with sheep mentality ;)

chucky chuckaluck
September 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
so far, i could only come up with seven...

1 - you like vista and you haven't had any problems with it.

2 - you like using software without having to be grateful.

3 - you like games other than hangman in the console.

4 - when you use unfamiliar software, you enjoy reading the instructions on how to use it, especially if they were written for a construction worker with no previous computer experience or interest in which one of those algorhythm thingies the software uses.

5 - you could afford a mac and you actually like it.

6 - you like the outdoors.

7 - foobar2000

jimi_hendrix
September 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
these reasons are 100% true...and its amazing how many people dont meet the requirements...

Raffles10
September 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
An amusing list but perhaps not as true today as it was a few years ago. Many Linux distro's these days are relatively simple to install and use, with everything configured automagically during the install. The biggest problem for most average pc users was installing Linux, which was typically non-graphical, and most Windows users would find themselves baffled by the command line. But nowadays most distro's have very simple graphical installation procedures and I think most Windows users, if they tried it, would be pleasantly surprised at it's simplicity.

The fact is that there are perfectly valid reasons why for some people installing Linux on a PC which is pre-configured for Windows (which is how the vast majority of people start to use Linux) is never going to be the best option.

This is a very important point. I first tried Linux (Ubuntu, Mandriva) two years ago on my old pc which bought pre-configured with Windows XP on it. Well the results weren't good, screen resolution was wrong (I had to edit xorg.conf), I couldn't get online (software modem), and I couldn't print (lexmark !).

My new pc was custom built with the best hardware I could afford, not chosen for it's compatability with Windows but for it's quality. I installed Ubuntu on it myself and it was so unlike my previous experience I was amazed. Everything was configured correctly during the installation and when it was finished everything just worked, I didn't have to edit or configure anything, and the installation was a lot quicker than any Windows install I've ever done. Ubuntu runs perfect on my new pc.

Linux is getting better !:)

speedwell68
September 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Wasn't the OP a meant to be a joke? A joke that everybody seems to be taking a little too seriously.

chucky chuckaluck
September 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
that's true, linux is getting easier with distros like ubuntu and pclinuxos (and even sabayon is easy as hell to install). the OP's list might be better as 10 reasons not to use gentoo. it might be easier to now to come up with reasons to use linux rather than reasons not to use it.

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
This comes on a little too strong. It's saying that everyone who is a little nervous should just not use Linux. I find it to be a bit abrasive.

karellen
September 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
that's true, linux is getting easier with distros like ubuntu and pclinuxos (and even sabayon is easy as hell to install)

let's not forget Mandriva and Opensuse ;)

chucky chuckaluck
September 13th, 2008, 09:53 PM
let's not forget Mandriva and Opensuse ;)

not to get too OT, but i was baffled by opensuse. it was easy to install, but it was so vast, i couldn't find anything.

lukjad
September 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
"Please sir, can I have some less?" Twisted Oliver

kdorf
September 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
My point exactly.

Yeah but you must also consider than anyone who uses Windows will have that preinstalled for them on whatever system they buy, and I'd argue that installing Windows is probably harder than installing Ubuntu for someone who has no idea what they're doing.