PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installin ubuntu with all drivers working

qscfthm
September 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hello,
I have already xp in my ststem.it is not working properly,So
I have decided to install ubuntu.And my father wants xp,so I have to install VMware server and install xp in it.
But I heard that if I do that the devices(like microphone,scanner.....) won't work.
Is it like that:(.
If so Plz!!! help in it.Or if not let me know that.
Thanks in advance.

tommcd
September 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Since XP is no longer working, and since your father needs XP what I would do is:
Reinstall Windows XP. Install it on a partition large enough for your needs and leave free space for Ubuntu, then install Ubuntu onto the remaining free space.

If you do not have a proper XP install CD, and only have a "restore" CD that came with your computer, then reinstall XP, and then install Ubuntu. Use Ubuntu's partition manager to shrink XP to free up enough space for Ubuntu.

Write back if you need more help. Since you need XP I would just reinstall it without worrying about virtualization programs.

See this site for excellent advice on installing and using Ubuntu:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!!

qscfthm
September 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for that.
But will all drivers{like scanner,printer...etc}work.
I dont need xp outside the system but I only need ubuntu.
Plz answer this!!!!!!!!
thanks for your last advice.

tommcd
September 13th, 2008, 09:50 PM

IF you reinstall XP to the hard drive it should work (including all drivers) as it did before.

Which do you have, a Windows XP CD along with a bunch of driver CDs; or a "restore" CD that reinstalls XP as it was originally installed on your system when you bought it?

Either way, reinstalling XP should have all your drivers working as they did before. I have reinstalled XP a few times and have not had a problem. Keep in mind that if you have updated drivers since you first bought your computer, then you will need to update those after reinstalling, but you would have to do that anyway if you installed XP inside VM ware.

tommcd
September 14th, 2008, 12:46 AM

One more thing,
The drivers for peripheral devices like the printer and scanner will likely need to be reinstalled after you reinstall XP. The printer and scanner should have come with driver CDs which you can use to reinstall the drivers. If you no longer have the driver CDs you can go to the printer and scanner manufacturer's websites to download the drivers. It is probably a good idea to download the drivers from the manufacturer's websites anyway, since there are probably newer drivers available for the devices than the ones that came with the devices on the driver CDs.

qscfthm
September 14th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks for your valuable advices.:)
I will do whatever you have said here.

Sef
September 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Plz answer this!!!!!!!!

What is your hardware? If you have an hp printer or PSC, then it will likely work out of the box. If you have a lexmark printer or PSC, then likely it will not work out of the box, if at all.