PDA

View Full Version : [kde] where can i get 3.5?

Siljrath
September 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM
since kde4 is so utterly unusable to someone familiar with kde3.5 (because loads of features are either just not there, or moved to somewhere less intuitive) i want to install 3.5 .... but where is it!? i cant seem to find it in add/remove or in synaptic package manager, and i'm having real difficulty tracking down a .deb file for it too. ... WHERE THE HECK IS KDE 3.5!!??

i found a few compressed tar files... but i'm as effective at installing them as a wet fish is for hammering in nails.

el_baby
September 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
since kde4 is so utterly unusable to someone familiar with kde3.5 (because loads of features are either just not there, or moved to somewhere less intuitive) i want to install 3.5 .... but where is it!? i cant seem to find it in add/remove or in synaptic package manager, and i'm having real difficulty tracking down a .deb file for it too. ... WHERE THE HECK IS KDE 3.5!!??

i found a few compressed tar files... but i'm as effective at installing them as a wet fish is for hammering in nails.

Well, IIRC, kde3 is mostly everywhere... the kde4 packages are marked, well, kde4 within hardy...

For instance, the package "konsole" is actually "konsole kde3.5", the kde4 version is "konsole-kde4"...

Or are you using Intrepid already? (I think the Ibex is kinda kde3.5-less, but I'm not sure).

Siljrath
September 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
nope, still on 8.04.. hardy or whatever its called.
though i've no special place for this install (it's expendable), i'm somewhat relegated to depending on wubi at the moment until i get a disk drive.

r u saying i'd have to install 3.5 package by package?

i'm not big on IRC... where'd i go in there... er... uhh.....
u did mean irc, right? n not 2ReleaseCandidtate or something? ... haha... i bet that looks like the stupidest question ever. :D

isnt there just a neat little .deb file somewhere i can use?

el_baby
September 13th, 2008, 02:46 PM
nope, still on 8.04.. hardy or whatever its called.
though i've no special place for this install (it's expendable), i'm somewhat relegated to depending on wubi at the moment until i get a disk drive.

r u saying i'd have to install 3.5 package by package?

i'm not big on IRC... where'd i go in there... er... uhh.....
u did mean irc, right? n not 2ReleaseCandidtate or something? ... haha... i bet that looks like the stupidest question ever. :D

No, sorry...

IIRC means "If I Recall Correctly" (nothing to do with irc or release candidate, just silly jargon, I shouln't be using it here).

I don't think you must install kde3.5 package by package, but I'm not the best person in guiding you thru this path since I've never been into it.

But what you probably have to do is launch synaptic (since it's the package manager you use) and select the "kdebase" package that depends on most of kde 3.5 so that would get installed.

You could also search for "kde4" in the name and mark to remove what you find and select the equivalent "not -kde4" apps...

And you should be able to do this in one or two shots with synaptic...

Siljrath
September 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM
haha, yeah. it throws us noobs. ....i really shouldnt b a noob still. been with nix since 2004! lol.

thnx... kdebase... i was sure i looked for that already, oops.

sorted. thanks.