PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error executing "grub-install (hd0)" failed. - Fatal Error

satya10123
September 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Hi,
I have a intel-centrino duo machine with 120 GB SATA disk. Win Vista is installed on the primary partition of the hard disk (recognized as sda by Ubuntu LiveCD) and Ive selected 1 partition(sda6) as "/" during installation.

The installation (Hardy Heron) progresses fine till 94% (after detection of hardware etc) and fails with the error message :

Error executing "grub-install (hd0)" failed.
Fatal Error

Of course, on reboot I don't get any grub and get straight booted into the Vista partition.

Btw I have lenovo laptop with "one touch recovery" i.e. At the time of startup… there is a button called lenovo care in notebook which intrupts normal windows boot and lead to recovery module… using this module I can reinstall vista as it was at the time of factory production.

Firstly, is there anything wrong in my selected configuration. If not, any tips on how I can resolve this problem / move ahead ?

Thanks in advance.

caljohnsmith
September 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
See post #6 from this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=810205&highlight=circumvented+ext2+ext3) and I think it will solve your problem. Let me know how it goes, or if you still have the same problem after trying the method from that thread.