PDA

View Full Version : reactos can run a lot of windows programs now!

eragon100
September 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Reactos is a freeware (and opensource as well) rewrite of Microsoft© Windows© XP© that is capable of running windows© applications natively. It is still in alpha stage, but here is the project's screenshot page showing windows© programs that already work fine:

http://www.reactos.org/en/screenshots.html

karellen
September 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I guess Wine and dual booting makes somehow pointless an OS like ReactOS. it could be useful for people who don't want to run Windows (for various reasons) and Wine doesn't suits their needs anymore. otherwise...it's still in alpha after 10 years of development. probably when it's released its XP-based code will be obsolete

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
The future I see of ReactOS is not as a standalone OS of its own but integrated with Linux distributions with Virtualization in order to run Windows programs in Linux like WINE.

Barrucadu
September 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM
ReactOS is to Windows, as Linux is to UNIX. There will be a use for it - some day.

pp.
September 13th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Seeing that it - apparently - already runs complex software such as OpenOffice and several games, I'd say that the time has come for some serious testing.

Not all Windows application I would like to use can be run in Wine, and I don't fancy using the original Windows any longer than I have to. Besides, running a windows-like OS on a PC for which I have no Windows license might become useful one of these days.

qazwsx
September 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Wine and ReactOS are related.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactos#Related_projects

And ReactOS needs to support hardware or support binary Windows drivers (I think they are not going to achieve that goal). Wine is much easier and more functional solution.

fiddledd
September 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
ReactOS are doing a great job when you consider their lack of support. There's no millionaire backing them, and there are few full time developers. So if anyone has a few million to spare... :)