PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Studio killed my internet and wont let me bring it back

scenkner
September 13th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have an odd internet setup. I had previously installed usb-rndis-lite. a little program which allows me to share my internet from a Windows Mobile smartphone with my desktop running linux. All was going well until I installed the studio package. After installing the internet stopped working. So I tried to reinstall usb-rndis-lite but am getting a strange error which I never got before. It was unable to find lib/modules/2.6.24-19-rt/build. What is this and why is it no longer there?

Sef
September 13th, 2008, 11:01 AM
It was unable to find lib/modules/2.6.24-19-rt/build. What is this and why is it no longer there?

It's part of the kernel. What is your kernel? If you don't know, then do this:

Open the terminal (it could be Applications > Accessories > Terminal), then paste or type in this code:

uname -r

scenkner
September 15th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Kernel is 2.6.24-19-rt, there just isn't any build folder.
BTW, the terminology I am using probably isn't correct. I dont think that usb-rndis-lite is actually a program, I think its a driver. Also, this error is occurring during the make command.

scenkner
September 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I really hate being a bumper, but im sure that somebody knows why this has happened and I really like to have internet. Can someone help as to why the build folder is no longer in the kernel? How do I get it back?

scenkner
September 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
If anyone is interested, I have fixed it myself! :)
I noticed after some looking that lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build was still completely intact. So, I installed usb-rndis-lite using the generic kernel. Then with the internet up, I downloaded the linux headers for 2.6.42-19-rt which is the default kernel that my system loads into. Then I was able to log in using 2.6.42-19-rt and install usb-rndis-lite.
I was able to find that the build folder that was missing was directly related to these header files which somehow disappeared. Or when I installed Ubuntu Studio, it created this "rt" which I hadn't been using all along. (I never noticed what I was using before).
Anyway, it is fixed and if anyone else ever runs into a similar problem, here is the solution. GET THE HEADERS!