PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Random Freeze Troubleshooting

squiggie
September 13th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I've recently installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 and everything is working ok except my system will hang randomly and I cannot do anything on. It is a complete hang; I cannot ssh to it, move mouse or keyboard doesn't respond. I can't ctrl+alt+F1 or anything else. I have to hard reset it to get it back up.

I think it has something to do with Mythfrontend, but I'm not totally for sure. I have looked through all the logs that I can think of, but I can't see anything that makes sense for the crashed (that I can tell, I'm pretty newbish). My problem is I don't know really how to begin troubleshooting it other than looking in /var/logs and those don't give me any direction really.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on where to look to troubleshoot? Please forgive me if I didn't include enough information.

knattlhuber
September 13th, 2008, 05:59 AM
You could post the output of /var/log/syslog and/or dmesg (from before the crash occurred) here and see if anybody can make sense of it.

squiggie
September 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Attached are the syslog and dmesg files from the latest crash at 15:47:22 today.

alecz20
September 26th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I think I have the same problem as you.

Using ubuntustudio, the system freezes completely, usually when idling, and the HDD light is a steady ON.

I suspect it's the video card... but I am not sure... still looking for a solution myself.

just one question: did you just enable the NVIDIA driver, or did you install it from the NVIDIA website? (I did the latter)

quemaneumaticos
September 26th, 2008, 09:27 AM
My ubuntu freeze too like yours. It only happens some times. I think this is a known bug.

P.D.How can i post a quick reply? I have to mark something, but i dont find it.

P.D.2.Sorry for my english.

squiggie
September 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I think I have nailed this down on my machine. The only time my box freezes is when I watch the Live TV option from withtin MythTV. That seems to freeze it within a matter of minutes. Has anyone had issues with this before?