PDA

View Full Version : How to Transfer Large Files?

adsxy
September 13th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hi,guys,
I need to send an important large files to my customers, but it's large so that it was rejected by email. Anyone knows what should I do?

voteforpedro36
September 13th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Archive it and split it, then send it in pieces.

MaxIBoy
September 13th, 2008, 04:51 AM
http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4547

tdrusk
September 13th, 2008, 05:06 AM
A torrent would be a good idea if you have a few people in it with you or if you have a high speed connection.

Greyed
September 13th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Whatever happened to using FTP.. AKA File Transfer Protocol. Upload it somewhere, send them the link in the email.

If you must put it someplace accessible via HTTP, send them the link, remove in a day or so.

(Btw, this is more for the people giving off-the-wall suggestions than the OP. If the OP doesn't know he doesn't know, no harm, no foul. But torrent!? Splitting the archive!? YEECH! Bash wrap? And if his client(s) is on Windows this helps how!?)

tdrusk
September 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Whatever happened to using FTP.. AKA File Transfer Protocol. Upload it somewhere, send them the link in the email.

If you must put it someplace accessible via HTTP, send them the link, remove in a day or so.

(Btw, this is more for the people giving off-the-wall suggestions than the OP. If the OP doesn't know he doesn't know, no harm, no foul. But torrent!? Splitting the archive!? YEECH! Bash wrap? And if his client(s) is on Windows this helps how!?)
The only reason I suggested torrent was because it would be a free way to do it. It would use all of his bandwidth if he did this himself with a home server. Multiple seeds would be a good solution to this.

Polygon
September 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
but if its a file that only those two care about, no one is going to be seeding it.

and ftp wont kill all of his bandwidth. no more then torrent would. just upload it to a ftp somewhere.

mips
September 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM

My thoughts exactly, FTP is great. You could also run a FTP server on your own pc if need be.

howefield
September 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
The are loads of free online storage places you could upload to and email the recipient the link, eg yousendit.com

Think they have a 100meg file size limit and links are time limited, (7 days) there are many others most of which offer a free option.

billgoldberg
September 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Rapidshare, megaupload, ....

Ftp.

Torrents.

fooday
September 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Hi,guys,
I need to send an important large files to my customers, but it's large so that it was rejected by email. Anyone knows what should I do?

http://www.qoodaa.com.It's an internet based program to transfer large files. Hope this will be helpful.

dixon
September 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I'm very happy with dropbox (http://www.getdropbox.com).

olskar
September 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Wow! Dropbox is lovely! I haven't heard of that before!