PDA

View Full Version : How goes the open source business model?

t0p
September 13th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I know nothing about corporate finance. I don't read the Money section of news websites. I wouldn't know how to research this question. So I'll pose it here instead.

How are Canonical, Red Hat, Mozilla and their ilk doing? How profitable is the free software business?

zmjjmz
September 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Canonical isn't profiting from Ubuntu, but I don't think Shuttleworth really cares.
red Hat and Novell are making brisk business, and Google and Mozilla are in bed with each other.

Sealbhach
September 13th, 2008, 12:53 AM
They sell support by subscription. I think Red Hat actually makes money from that - charging support to businesses for mission-critical systems.

zmjjmz
September 13th, 2008, 12:55 AM
They sell support by subscription. I think Red Hat actually makes money from that - charging support to businesses for mission-critical systems.

But the question is; how is that going for ya?
Well, MS is also making money off of it.

t0p
September 13th, 2008, 01:42 AM
red Hat and Novell are making brisk business, and Google and Mozilla are in bed with each other.

I asked about their profitability not their promiscuity! :p

cardinals_fan
September 13th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I asked about their profitability not their promiscuity! :p
Same thing, in this case. Google pays Mozilla to be the default search engine in Firefox.

Red Hat and Novell make a lot of money by selling support licenses to the enterprise. Xandros has a small but lucrative clientele for some of their server products. Canonical hasn't broken even yet, but Mark Shuttleworth won't be calling in their startup loan anytime soon.

TBOL3
September 13th, 2008, 02:40 AM
You know, with how much of a dreamer Mark is, I wouldn't be supprised if he started selling open computers, with ubuntu on them. That would make him some $$$. Or maybe not, depending on if he wants to overprice it or not.

aysiu
September 13th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Read How does open source make money? (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/how-does-open-source-make-money/)