PDA

View Full Version : [bash] what do you think of this photo resizing script

Rob-e
September 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
EDIT:
I just thought I would let everyone know there is a much nicer resize and rotate program in the repository called nautilus-image-converter, it adds a resize and rotate option right to the right click menu on images.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter

I basically just highly modified this guys script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=34705

it can resize to 3 predefined sizes (you could add more) and it asks to put the resized pics in a folder or rename them

its made to be put in the nautilus scripts directory:
~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/
and then its available on the right click menu, (dont forget chmod) just highlight some pics and right click and choose the script

edit: forgot to mention you must have imagemagick installed (in the repos)

what do you think?
and feel free to use/mod/etc

the main reason i made this is because my parents need something to do this, in windows they have been using photogadget, and this does the same thing

#!/bin/bash

# must have imagemagick installed
# doesnt work with spaces in filenames... yet

CURRENTLOCATION=`pwd`

SIZE=`zenity --list --title="Choose the thumbnail's size" --radiolist --column="Check" --column="Size" "" "320x240" "" "640x480" "" "800x600" "" "1024x768"`

if [ "${SIZE}" == "" ]; then
zenity --error --text="Size not defined by user.
Please choose a size to use. "
exit 1
fi

ACTION=`zenity --list --title="What would you like to do?" --radiolist --column="Check" --column="Choices" "" "Move pictures to resized folder" "" "Rename pictures"`
# zenity --file-selection --title="What would you like to do?" --directory --filename=resized
# could be used to use folder other than resized

if [ "${ACTION}" == "" ]; then
zenity --error --text="Action not defined by user.
Please choose an action. "
exit 2
fi

if [ "${ACTION}" == "Move pictures to resized folder" ]; then

mkdir resized/

for file in $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS; do
filename=$(basename "$file")
convert -resize "${SIZE}" -quality 50 "$file" "$CURRENTLOCATION/resized/$filename"
done
fi

if [ "${ACTION}" == "Rename pictures" ]; then
strippedfilename=$(basename "$file" .jpg)
convert -resize "${SIZE}" -quality 50 "$file" "$CURRENTLOCATION/$strippedfilename $SIZE.jpg"
done
fi

zenity --info --text="All finished"

miegiel
February 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks :D It didn't work for me though, but with some effort I did manage to condense the script down to :

#!/bin/bash
#
# depends on imagemagick

for file in *.jpg ; do
# resize to 800x800 or less maintaining aspect ratio
convert -resize 800x800 "$file" "800.$file"
done

exit
Which is good enough for my purposes.

In case you're intrested, the errors I got running your script :

[: 14: 800x600: unexpected operator
[: 24: Rename pictures: unexpected operator
[: 35: Rename pictures: unexpected operator
[: 42: Rename pictures: unexpected operator

falconindy
February 21st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Tip: If you add a Bash shebang, take advantage of it.

- Use double square brackets instead of single
- Use ${var##*/} instead of $(basename $var)

I also suspect that Nautilus's provided environment variables will not be friendly enough to handle spaces. You'll need to find another method. Regardless, using a 'for' loop will never deal with spaces properly.

Rob-e
July 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I just thought I would let everyone know there is a much nicer resize and rotate program in the repository called nautilus-image-converter, it adds a resize and rotate option right to the right click menu on images.

sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter

geirha
July 9th, 2010, 10:33 PM
You seem to have mastered the most important skill in shell scripting, namely quoting, though except for $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS. Obviously, (as falconindy also mentions) this is because those environment variables are broken by design; they can't safely contain a list of filenames.

Luckily, however, nautilus-scripts also passes the selected files as arguments to the script, which keeps each filename safely separated and not mangled together in a single string. So instead of

just do

for file in "$@"; do
# or even just
for file; do
# run help for in an interactive bash shell to see why

Otherwise, as falconindy mentions, basename and dirname can be done more efficiently with parameter expansion, and the [ command should not be used in bash; rather use the [[ and (( keywords. And lastly, $(...) is preferred over `...`. See
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/073
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/031
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/082

@miegiel
Those errors you got look like dash error messages. Dash's [ command does not accept the == operator (only =), while bash's [ command accept both = and ==. While using the == operator with [ is bad practice, it works in bash, and the shebang points to bash, so the fault is really on you for trying to run a bash script with dash (or some other shell that is not bash).