PDA

View Full Version : Increasing image size in X-sane

scarab
September 12th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hi!
I need to scan an image in x-sane in more than 100% of it actual size on given resolution. My scanner is an HP Deskjet F4180 (all-in-one) Do someone knows how to do this?

(I was doing this scanning in a res higher than the needed then resizng and lowering res in post processing, but final image was not good enough.)

thanks in advance,

f

AJB2K3
September 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Going to sound stupid but,
Change the resolution and size in the dialogues !
You aether haven't got the front end working or you haven't got the needed dialogue open yet.

scarab
September 14th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Resolution, OK, but size, I simply cannot see where to change it (image size, in %) in the dialogs.... where to do so? which dialog?

thanks in advance

F

Going to sound stupid but,
Change the resolution and size in the dialogues !
You aether haven't got the front end working or you haven't got the needed dialogue open yet.

unutbu
September 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
scarab, are you trying to print out the scanned image?
If so, when you print, is there an option to change the DPI (dots-per-inch)?

scarab
September 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
it is not for me for printing.

I need to send images to another person in a given size and resolution (in tiff)...

but originals are smaller than the needed size.

scanning via Windows, using the original scanner's interface, I can scan something of 3x4in to 15x20in in 300 DPI, for instance. but I cannt find in xsane a dialog to do so...

I already tried (in linux) to scan it in a higher resolution, then paste to inkscape, then export it in a given size, but the final artwork is not so good as if I had directly generated the scanned image in the given size and resolution I need. No, I do not unsderstand exactly why it does not work, but anyway, it is a longer way, and I would really appreciate to be able to do all directly in xsane...

any ideas are welcome!

unutbu
September 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
What is the size of the original
What is the desired size of the output
What is the DPI of your scanner
What is the DPI of the printer, or what is the desired resolution that you need to send to the printer?

Your Windows program may have been able to resize the data before outputting it to a tiff file, but it may be the case that xsane does not have that functionality built-in. I am not familiar with xsane, but I took a look at the documentation at http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-doc.html and could not find any option to resize the data.

It might be necessary to use a separate tool to do the resizing.
Inkscape is for scalable vector graphics. I doubt it would be the best tool for scaling bitmaps such as your tiff.

Perhaps try GIMP, or imagemagick.

To resize using imagemagick, see
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5790627&postcount=7

lharb704
January 31st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I know this post is a few months old, but thought somebody else might benefit from it as well. I believe the OP is referring to the output image resolution. It took me a little while to figure it out too.

In xsane, you can alter this by going to the main xsane window, clicking View and making sure "show resolution list" is checked. Having that checked will show an option about midway in the middle of the window that has a number in it, defaults to 50, I think. This is the scan DPI. You can bump this up a bit and the apparent output resolution will increase the next time you scan something.

Resolution, OK, but size, I simply cannot see where to change it (image size, in %) in the dialogs.... where to do so? which dialog?

thanks in advance

F