PDA

View Full Version : Linux Guru/Genius: Penguin Invasion

Ellipsis
September 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Alright with the announcement of Windows Guru's and the presence of Mac Geniuses perhaps we need a similar. Don't kill/shun me yet...just listen to my idea:

The Linux Penguin (alright this is just a working name...I know someone more creative will figure out a better name) would be a person with a good knowledge of Linux enough to fix the basic problems people have or else refer the person to a forum or LUG if one is present ie. "Linux poweruser". This person would be distribution independent meaning that they should have a general understanding of the inner workings of Linux and the help system.

Of course the Penguins would not be waddling around Bestbuys but rather they would just hang out in the libraries, universities or other areas of concentrated technological focus (with a wifi connection). They would have a sticker (maybe Mark could start sending those out with shipit CDs), sign or shirt (nothing too nerdy...we don't want them to look any more hideous =P ). Anyway as not to look to nerdy they should probably keep to pairs both for something to do and for the additional support that would be provided. Attentionality they could dispanse information about Linux to those who ask or else advertise local Linux events/groups. Basically like a mini-LUG with STICKERS!

Anyway that was just my idea because of all the new netbooks and all that...I do hang out at my university library a lot.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I like the idea. I'm really wanting to push for my local library, and community college to switch to linux. And volunteer or payed penguins would be great.

Ellipsis
September 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I like the idea. I'm really wanting to push for my local library, and community college to switch to linux. And volunteer or payed penguins would be great.

Paying people might be a little more difficult to find funding for and in the short term the help service would be little used since Linux still has a small market share. Thus the paid people would probably be advertising more than anything else...you know giving out information on Linux and handing out LiveCDs. Even then it is probably inefficient and would probably be better done by a LUG and the money spent on developers.

littletinman
September 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
True, but i was just thinking, a library might want an onstaff linux certified IT guy/gal. Even for like an afternoon part time job, more of a service. Or an internship. Just a thought.

Ellipsis
September 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
True, but i was just thinking, a library might want an onstaff linux certified IT guy/gal. Even for like an afternoon part time job, more of a service. Or an internship. Just a thought.

Yeah that might not be a bad idea.

smartboyathome
September 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM
How about "Linux Master" or "Linux Whiz" instead. ;)

Anyway, this is more of a LUG thing than anything else (as stated above). It might help when Linux gains more market share, but for now its not that widely used yet so it wouldn't be of much use more than advertising.

Ellipsis
September 13th, 2008, 01:46 AM
How about "Linux Master" or "Linux Whiz" instead. ;)

Anyway, this is more of a LUG thing than anything else (as stated above). It might help when Linux gains more market share, but for now its not that widely used yet so it wouldn't be of much use more than advertising.

I agree again...but still we could start a "alpha" program to see how it goes.

As for the names...we need a few more suggestions and a poll.