PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloading software

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Simple, when i download software for my pc, do i still choose Windows as the OS, now that ill be using ubuntu. Another quick questin if i dual boot does that mean that i will use both vista and ubuntu at the same time, wont that slow booting times even more. Thank you for your help.

perlluver
September 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Simple, when i download software for my pc, do i still choose Windows as the OS, now that ill be using ubuntu. Another quick questin if i dual boot does that mean that i will use both vista and ubuntu at the same time, wont that slow booting times even more. Thank you for your help.

You will download for Ubuntu or Linux, not windows. However, you can find a lot of useful programs under Add/Remove. And dual booting means you can boot into either Windows, or Ubuntu. Not both at the same time.

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
For software, you do not install software the same way you do in windows, instead we use something called a repository, if you want to know how they work we can teach you.
As for dual booting, no using a dual boot will not make your system slower as the two operating systems are separated from eachother.
Dual booting separates the two OS's

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 05:32 PM
i would like to learn, im currently adding new photo editing software along with photoshop and i would really like to use it in this new OS.

One more thing, i have a third partition which is called data, i use it to store pretty much anything, i dont like to store thing i my main OS drive.. will i be able to use or manage anything in that partition while using ubuntu. Thank you very much for the support

perlluver
September 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
i would like to learn, im currently adding new photo editing software along with photoshop and i would really like to use it in this new OS.

You can use Gimp, or photoshop might run through Wine. Gimp is an open source image editor. You can find more info about Gimp at http://www.gimp.org. If you need more help please let us know.

perlluver
September 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM
One more thing, i have a third partition which is called data, i use it to store pretty much anything, i dont like to store thing i my main OS drive.. will i be able to use or manage anything in that partition while using ubuntu. Thank you very much for the support

It depends on the file system, but the short answer is yes.

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM

well depending on the version Photoshop works fairly well under linux, unless its a later version (like CS3)
as for your data partition, what format is it in?
Ubuntu can read/ write in most filesystem formats, some better then others.
If its a NTFS partition or a fat partition you should have no issues, though these days NTFS is a better option for such things.

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
while installing ubuntu i came onto a black screen that seems to require some type of input to be typed.. it reads ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
then i must type something.. what is this

perlluver
September 12th, 2008, 06:32 PM
while installing ubuntu i came onto a black screen that seems to require some type of input to be typed.. it reads ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
then i must type something.. what is this

That is the console, was there an error, or did it just bring up that screen?

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
it just brought it up, it says somethings about ubuntu being free and if i need info to go to a certain site..

perlluver
September 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
it just brought it up, it says somethings about ubuntu being free and if i need info to go to a certain site..

Is this on the install CD? If so it might be a bad burn.

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Well its possible its a bad burn, did you check the CD for defects?
also what are your specs?

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
no i burned it, but it had no errors while burning?? i installed in on the partition that said use the next largest continous space... what should i do now?

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
no i burned it, but it had no errors while burning?? i installed in on the partition that said use the next largest continous space... what should i do now?

did it actually partition yet?
did you proceed beyond this?
you should be fine, but still your burn sounds dubious.
How did you burn your CD?
What speed?
again it can still be a bad burn, also we dont know about your computer so any information is appreciated.

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
i went to manage my pc srhank the drive and created a new allocated partition, i burned the cd at 24x, then i booted the pc and made the cd drive the first boot.. i went through all the process of selecting the keyboard settings and time location along with my user name and password and then selected the drive to create the partition... after that it began to install and then shot me to the black screen.. dont think it finished installing.. i restarted the computer and im checking the disk for errors

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
i went to manage my pc srhank the drive and created a new allocated partition, i burned the cd at 24x, then i booted the pc and made the cd drive the first boot.. i went through all the process of selecting the keyboard settings and time location along with my user name and password and then selected the drive to create the partition... after that it began to install and then shot me to the black screen.. dont think it finished installing.. i restarted the computer and im checking the disk for errors

can you still boot into your original OS?
as for your burn speed you may want to try a lower setting, sometimes burning a ISO at high speed messes things up.
Sometimes 24x is overkill.
what application did you burn your image with?

phr0ze
September 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
You didn't hit any keys or something to make the screen appear did you? CTRL-Alt-F1 through CTRL-Alt-F8 can do this.

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
no i didn't hit any keys at all it just took me there, i checked the CD for integrity and it had no errors, i tried to run the install again and now it doesn't seem to have enough space on the partioned drive made by shrinking process in disk management. What option should i use, to make sure i do this right... the manual, guided-use next largest space.. or the first one?

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
The first one, as it should have windows listed.
Guided will wipe windows off your drive, same with manual if you dont know what you are doing.

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
then i didn't need to shrink my vista volume to create a new one to install it there, i simply needed to install in in the same one as vista, my C: drive?? then how can i get that new drive that i created and join it back with the OS drive?

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
then i didn't need to shrink my vista volume to create a new one to install it there, i simply needed to install in in the same one as vista, my C: drive?? then how can i get that new drive that i created and join it back with the OS drive?

Vista has its own partitioning tool, if you used it to set up your initial partition you can set it back...
but be careful, and back up if possible.
If you did use Vista's partitioner then its no wonder why you had errors, as ubuntu has its own partitioning tools.
You might want to try wubi next, its a way to install ubuntu inside of Vista.

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 07:11 PM
damn it, i was following the installation instructions in some page.. precisely for vista, how do i delete that new volume i created and just merge it with the original vista driver

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
damn it, i was following the installation instructions in some page.. precisely for vista, how do i delete that new volume i created and just merge it with the original vista driver

it might be better to merge it back.
But like i said back things up, so if something goes wrong you have a point of recovery.

Yomny
September 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM
how do i merge it back, using wubi, will it be just as running a new OS? Will i get all the benefits, speed.. dont want to use it if its going to be a new application as described on the wubi page

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM
how do i merge it back, using wubi, will it be just as running a new OS? Will i get all the benefits, speed.. dont want to use it if its going to be a new application as described on the wubi page

for merging it back I have no clue, you may want to read up on vistas partitioner for that bit, I dont use vista (nor ever will) so cant help you there.
And Wubi will install linux as a seperate OS, it just makes setting up ubuntu on a dual boot easier for beginners.
Granted Wubi still needs work but it can get you started on a new partitioning scheme and perhaps fix errors you had.