View Full Version : My System continuesly crashes unexpectedly

phaedrus85
September 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
AMD Athlon 1000MHz L2 Cache 256 KB
Memory: 1GB 400mHz
HD: Maxtor 250GB
SONY DVD-RW
Mainboard: VIA VT8378 (KM400/A) Micro-ATX
Video Card: (AGP) nVidia GeForce FX 5700 Video RAM: 256 MB GPU Frequency: 300 Mhz
Power: 200W

Screen Resolution: Default Setting to 50 Hz (with 53 and 54 also shown to be available)

Hello, I appreciate any help or feedback anyone can give me on my question. I just re-installed Ubuntu 8.04 with all the updates on the hardware with specs listed above. I have the proprietary driver for my nVidia card installed and running, and have removed scripts from running w/o permission with No-Script ad-on for Firefox.

My problem? I've had this problem for a few months (I thought re-installing Ubuntu would help, but it hasn't) where my system crashes either when running applications under wine or when opening several applications w/o wine. Sometimes I can use my computer for a few seconds; sometimes an hour, but usually I have a system crash at some point very quickly, and my monitor goes black with the message “monitor going to sleep.” I cannot provide a terminal output for the crash when running applications, since the system crashes.

The apps I would try to run in wine are some windows-based games: WoW, Age of Mythology, Starcraft, etc... I've installed the games correctly, am using opengl where appropriate... seems to happen across the board with my games or with multiple apps open when not using wine.

Under System/Preferences/Screen Resolution, it tells me my screen resolution has a refresh rate of 50 Hz (with 53 and 54 also shown to be available to select.)

Also, if I manage to have sound or music playing, when the computer crashes, whatever sound is currently being emitted will replay repeatedly, the same note over and over.

I've ran memtest from a LiveCD and not seen anything unusual-- no errors.

Could it be my low (200W) output from the power supply?

Any ideas on how to approach this, or anything else you need from me to help me figure it out?

Thanks!

Joeb454
September 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
This was moved into the archived section by mistake. Moved out of there :)