PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 8.04 Now My Comp Won't Boot.

somnabot
September 12th, 2008, 04:23 PM
So I finally decided to upgrade to 8.04, started the upgrade, and went to work. When I came back home, my computer wouldn't boot. I can only access a command line booting from my HD, so I am using a liveCD at the moment.

I presume something went wrong with the installation, or it was somehow stopped midway through??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

oilchangeguy
September 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
So I finally decided to upgrade to 8.04, started the upgrade, and went to work. When I came back home, my computer wouldn't boot. I can only access a command line booting from my HD, so I am using a liveCD at the moment.

I presume something went wrong with the installation, or it was somehow stopped midway through??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

try it again. and this time pay attention to what it's doing. it should take less than an hour to correctly install. and what are your computers specs? it might not be able to run 8.04.

tekky
September 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Sounds fun, are there any error messages? what screen do you get to? Any more information would be good. It could simply be the grub had an issue or maybe a driver problem.

somnabot
September 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
The computer begins to boot into Ubuntu, but then changes to a black screen that says:

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)

I really don't know what that is, but I can't even type 'help'. Secondly, here are my comp specs:

Dell Power Edge Server: 4.5 Gig Dual Core Pentium 1Mb Cach, 800mhtz FSB, 4-1Gb DDR2 DIMMS, 4-250Gb Sata in RAID.

somnabot
September 12th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I tried pressing ctrl+alt+f2 / ctrl+alt+f3 / ctrl+alt+f4 on the main menu and when the BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu7) Built-in shell (ash) comes up but nothing happens.

I also tried to type eic7xxx.aic7xxx=no_probe at the prompt, but nothing enters.

Google is no help...